Taking the English Placement Test (EPT) & Entry Level Mathematics Test (ELM)
The EPT/ELM tests are CSU system-wide exams that can be taken at any available CSU Campus near you. See ETS Bulletin or individual campus testing website for dates, times and registration details. If you are not sure if you are or would be exempt from taking the EPT/ELM, and/or have an 'exempt' or 'conditional' result, contact Admissions & Records 707-664-2778.
Register for ELM/EPT
Follow these steps.
- Check the Test Dates.
- Take tests early!
- Not having test scores by Orientation Day will preclude you from enrolling in ENGL and/or MATH.
- Visit individual CSU Campus Testing websites for dates and times.
- Register online.
- Most CSU Campuses have online registration options.
- Visit the CSU Testing website of the campus where you wish to take the tests.
- For Sonoma State University, go to the CSU's EPT/ELM Test System site to view available dates, then sign-up online.
- Pay Fees.
- Pay fees for your test the day of the test.
- Only money orders and personal checks are accepted.
- No cash is accepted. There might be some exceptions, refer to each Campus.
For Sonoma State
The SSU Testing Office only administers tests and does not provide advising nor interpretation of tests or policy for admissions purposes. Our Office does not manage nor relay testing scores; contact the SSU Records Office at 707-664-2778. Request testing at least 2-3 days in advance.
If you are unsure of whether you need to take EPT or ELM , please contact Admissions and Records at (707) 664-2778.
Having issues retrieving your EPT or ELM Scores?
Phone ETS directly at 1-925-808-2142
Early Start Program
For registration and course information, please contact Marcia Harrigan at email@example.com.
For general questions about the Early Start Program, please contact Magali Telles at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAQs & Remediation
New First Time Freshmen: The California State University (CSU), which draws its students from the top third of California's high school graduates, has long accommodated large numbers of incoming students who need remedial education in English and mathematics. Half of incoming students require additional preparation.
The following testing accommodations are available for students with verified disabilities. Verification can be obtained through the Disability Services for Students (DSS).
- Extended test-taking time
- Separate location availability
- Computer access
Contact Disability Services for Students for more information.
- Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Phone number: (707) 664-2677
- TTY/TDD number: (707) 664-2958
- Fax number: (707) 664-3330
- Office Email: email@example.com
If you have a physical disability, you may park in any stall marked as such provided that you have a disability license plate or placard displayed on your dashboard. You will also need a SSU parking permit.
If you have a temporary disability due to injury, you may park in a stall designated for disability parking; however, before you can park, you will need to obtain a permit from SSU's Police Services located in the Public Services.
Sonoma State University
Testing Office - Salazar 1070
1801 E. Cotati Ave
Rohnert Park, CA 94928
Direct Line: 707-664-2947
Luis B. Vega
SSU is a certified testing site for proctoring exams. Sonoma State Testing Services administers the following tests:
- and various online program exams.
For general proctoring of online or other type of tests, certifications, etc., set up a proctoring session request with Lu Vega at 707-664-3437.
Email Lu at: firstname.lastname@example.org Normally, you just need to order/request the test, provide contact/mailing info, etc. and once the test & instructions are in hand, we set up a specific time/date. Our fee is $25 dollars. Request testing appointments at least 2-3 days in advance. The testing schedule is from 8 - 4:30pm, M-F only.