Sonoma State University’s Strategic Planning Taskforce is pleased to announce the next series of events in support of our university-wide strategic planning process. As we transition from Sharing to Shaping we are hosting a series of gatherings where we can talk in greater depth about Sonoma State’s future.
We’re hosting three cafe-style gatherings where you can meet with your SSU colleagues in small groups and share your thoughts and ideas over coffee and food. Your ideas will help shape our strategic plan. We need your vision and voice to make our strategic plan meaningful and useful.
Please join us for one of these three SSU Café events. Although RSVPs are not required, please help us plan for each event by letting us know you plan to attend by following link after each date below.
● Feb. 6, 8-9:30 a.m., Ballroom A
RSVP for the Feb. 6 event
● Feb. 7, 6:-7:30 p.m., 3rd floor of the Library
RSVP for the Feb. 7 event
● Feb. 12, noon to 1:30 p.m., 3rd floor of the Library
RSVP for the Feb. 12 event
- How is this different from the event that was held in early December? These gatherings give us a chance to explore the initial feedback we received about SSU and our future. We’ll talk more deeply about what we learned in December, and shape some broad ideas into more specific visions and plans.
- Who is invited? This event is open to the entire SSU community: faculty, staff, students, and external partners. We need your voice to make SSU’s future inclusive and to ensure we’re seeing the whole picture.
- What is a café-style gathering? The SSU Café is based on the concept of the World Café, a method for generating ideas and gathering feedback in organizations. Gathering with your colleagues in small groups over coffee can create a comfortable, informal environment where you can share your ideas and hear what others think about SSU’s future. This is part of our larger strategic planning process, and will give you the opportunity to expand on the feedback that we gathered in our first launch event.
- How does it work? Is there an agenda? There will be a number of tables set up, and each table will address a specific question or idea. You’ll sit with a group and discuss that idea for about 15 minutes before moving to another table with a different group to talk about another question or idea. The questions are all related to SSU’s strategic direction and how we’d like to see the University grow. One person acts as the host at each table to pull all of the ideas and threads together, and help each group build on what the group before has discussed.
- There are three events scheduled. Do I need to come to all of them, or should I choose one? Each of these events will be discussing common ideas, so you only need to attend one.
- Do I need to come for the whole thing? It’s not required that you stay for the entire hour and a half, but if you can, it’ll give you the chance to give your feedback on more questions and ideas.
- What will you ask me to do? Should I prepare anything? We want to hear what you think about SSU, so we’ll be asking for your thoughts on several questions related to the future of SSU. You don’t need to do anything specific to prepare, or bring anything but your thoughts and ideas. We hope you’ll be ready to share those thoughts and ideas with your colleagues from across the University.
- Will there be food? Yes! We’ll provide free food and drinks! We’ll also be giving out punch cards and giving you the chance to earn a free coffee from SIP or Charlie Brown’s Café.