OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS: What Happens Now? Read & Follow Instructions Below

Fees & Financial Services

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Sonoma State University (SSU) require international student applicants to demonstrate that sufficient funding is available to meet all university and living expenses for one academic year. Applicants should bring copies of all financial documents when going to the U.S. Consulate for a visa interview.

Estimates of Annual Undergraduate and Graduate Costs at Sonoma State University These amounts are estimates and are subject to change without notice. Actual expenses may vary. Currently, the estimated costs for tuition, fees, and living expenses are follows:

(12 units x 2 semesters)
(8 units x 2 semesters)
California State Tuition & Campus-Based Fees* $7,388 $8,654***
Non-Resident Tuition Fees ($372 per unit) $8,928 $5,952
Books and Materials $1,788 $1,788
Housing $10,000 $10,000
Food (full mean plan: 17 meals per week) $5,000 $5,000
Personal Expenses $3,500 $3,500
Health Insurance (Annual Fee 2106-17)** $1,493 $1,493
TOTAL $38,097 $36,387

* The California State University (CSU) makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, the CSU must reserve the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester has begun.

**Health Insurance typically increases annually; for the most up-to-date costs, please visit

*** For MBA only - $254 per unit professional fee (additional $4329 per year). Graduate students applying for the Computer and Engineering Science, Psychology, Organization Development, Spanish, or EMBA programs will pay through the Extended Education (see website for tuition/fee structure). Housing, food, personal expense and health insurance estimates remain the same.

Applications & Required Documents Needed

In order to process your application, it must be complete and you must submit the following documents:

  • All transcripts, marks sheets, certificates and diplomas must be official and sent by the institution in a sealed envelope.
  • Submit certified English translations for all non-English documents
  • If you are transferring from another college/university in the U.S. please have the Transfer Form for F-1 Students completed and returned
  • If you have a gap in your academic attendance for more than one semester, please print and complete the Gap in Attendance Inquiry form and return by mail or fax it to 707-664-2060
  • To verify that you will have sufficient funds to cover your educational expenses please submit
    • Financial Affidavit (Certificate of Financial Support)
    • A bank statement from you and/or sponsor
  • Once you have applied, you should receive an email confirmation notifying you that your application has been submitted. If you do not receive this email, please double check your email settings to ensure it has not been blocked by the spam filters. Please read the email carefully as it has important next steps.