Campus Reengineering Committee

Minutes: February 12, 1999

Approved Unanimously by CRC, March 12, 1999

Members Present

Members Absent

Guests Present

Approval of the Agenda

Furukawa-Schlereth brought the meeting to order at 12:10 AM and asked for a motion to approve the Agenda. A motion was made by Dennis Harris. A second was obtained from Floyd Ross. The Agenda was approved unanimously.

Approval of the Minutes

December 11, 1998 Schlereth then asked for a motion to approve the minutes of December 11, 1998. A motion was made by Harris. A second was obtained from Drew Calandrella. The minutes were then approved with no nay votes but with abstentions from those Members not present at the December 11, 1998 meeting.

Vice-President's Report

Schlereth then made his report to the CRC focusing on the following items:

Vice-President’s Office Staffing
Neil Markley has been added as Administrative Manager to the Office of the Vice-President for Administration and Finance. This position has been created to assist the Division with the increased workload, due to CMS, on the Vice-President and Senior Directors. This is a temporary position to be filled permanently in the Summer. Funding for this position has come from taxing the Senior Directors. Rosa Hosseini has been moved to the Vice-President’s Office to assist Steve Wilson and Larry Lin during the CMS implementation. To fund this position, Human Services is forgoing a position.
CMS Update
CMS is moving forward. Bakersfield has withdrawn as a first wave campus, but San Bernardino has been added. Steve Wilson and Edna Nakamoto are working at the system level on the prototype for the first wave campuses. The Campus CMS Steering Committee has met twice and is progressing. Wilson added that there will be a PeopleSoft demonstration at Sonoma on March 5, 1999 and invitations are being sent. Nakamoto noted prototyping on the HR module should be complete by April 1st and recognized Carol Cinquini for her input on the committee. Schlereth introduced Larry Lin, Senior Director, CMS, for an update. Lin informed the Committee that the CMS Project Managers met for the first time and are trying to develop standards. Schlereth feels Fresno, San Luis Obispo, Long Beach and Sonoma are driving the project that is important in influencing the prototype. Schlereth highlighted the CMS budget and noted Division unique expenses and desktop replacements are not included.
CMS Implementation Costs
Fiscal Year 98-99 99-00 00-01 01-02 02-03 03-04 2004-?
Unidentified $0 94 94 94 94 94 94
Project Management 65 130 130 130 130 130 0
Contingency/Reserve 0 105 178 0 0 0 0
Consultants 150 640 640 640 480 0 0
Core Team Training 130 130 365 0 0 0 0
DBMS Training 100 0 0 0 0 0 0
Technical Support/Interface 0 160 240 320 320 0 0
Campus Training 0 100 100 100 100 0 0
Human Resource Augment 0 100 0 0 0 0 0
Financial Services Augment 0 0 100 0 0 0 0
Admissions Augment 0 0 0 100 0 0 0
Financial Aid Augment 0 0 0 0 100 0 0
Interest, Line of Credit 0 0 70 87 87 0 0
Principle - Line of Credit 0 0 0 6 66 1,253 0
TOTAL $445 $1459 $1917 $1,477 $1,377 $1,477 $94

CMS Implementation Funding
Fiscal Year 98-99 99-00 00-01 01-02 02-03 03-04 2004-?
General Fund 98-99 $236 236 236 236 236 236 236
General Fund 99-00 0 120 120 120 120 120 120
General Fund 00-01 0 0 100 100 100 100 100
General Fund 01-02 0 0 0 100 100 100 100
FRS 01-02 0 0 0 60 60 60 60
General Fund 02-03 0 0 0 0 100 100 100
General Fund 03-04 0 0 0 0 0 100 100
GF Unit Assessments* 128 118 118 118 118 118 0
Line of Credit 0 324 800 200 0 0 0

Sum of Above General Fund Contributions $6,054,000

Less Ending Fund Balance Rebate to General Fund $ -722,000

General Fund Contribution $5,332,000

CMS General Fund Unit Assessments
Unit Name 98-99 99-00 03-04
Executive Office 2.18% $2,790 $2,572
Academic Affairs** 86.22% 110,362 101,740
Student Affairs 2.14% 2,739 2,525
Administration and Finance 9.46% 12,109 11,163
TOTAL   128,000 118,000

CMS Self-Sustaining Implementation Funding
  98-99 99-00 00-01 01-02 02-03 03-04 2004-?
Enterprises $55 200 200 200 200 200 0
Foundation 50 160 160 160 160 160 0
Housing 40 65 65 65 65 65 0
Parking 30 30 30 30 30 30 0
Extended Education 13 55 55 55 55 55 0
Health Center 4 15 15 15 15 15 0
Student Union $7 18 18 18 18 18 0

Derivation of Self-Sustaining Funds' Contribution to CMS
  Percent of Budget Percent of Project CMS $Contribution
Extended Education 3.5 3.5 $ 288,000
Student Union 1.1 1.1 97,000
Health Center 0.96 0.96 79,000
ASI 0.99 0 0
Foundation 10.6 10.3 850,000
Enterprises 10.4 12.8 1,055,000
Housing 5 4.4 365,000
Parking 1.1 2.2 180,000
IRA 1.6 0 0
TOTAL 35.3 35.3 2,914,000
CMS Update continued
Cinquini asked if a platform specification has been determined. Schlereth indicated medium to high-end users should use a PC platform, while low-end users could use the web-based system. Some discussion ensued and Schlereth encouraged Members to ask PeopleSoft questions related to platforms at the March 5th demonstration. Wilson added this would be a long implementation and not to expect everything at once. Schlereth noted PeopleSoft is not used to the collaborative, cumbersome style of the CSU but is working with the system for a successful implementation.
Rohnert Park Symposium
The Vice-President explained The City of Rohnert Park is developing a General Plan and it is important the University influence the use of land next to SSU. Schlereth thanked Cara Puccio for bringing students to the City Council meetings. Puccio added, two Councilpersons have been attending the Associated Students Board Meeting and two students have been attending City Council Meetings on a monthly basis. Lynn McIntyre added the City would like to increase its connection with the University. Puccio asked students to be involved in the process. Schlereth agreed.
Mendocino College Project
The Mendocino College building will open on April 11, 1999.
Housing Acceleration Update
A portion of the Sauvignon Village project will be accelerated and 240 beds will be available in the Fall of 1999. Melinda Barnard asked if future housing projects were in the works. Schlereth explained future housing expansions were dependent on the rate of growth the University wishes to achieve. Puccio asked if future housing expansion would take place on land listed as wetlands on a handout the City of Rohnert Park distributed. Schlereth explained the handout was in error and land for future housing expansion would not be on wetlands.
Beverage/Vending RFP
Markley noted the RFPs had been sent and were due back by the end of next week. Puccio noted a student had brought concerns to her regarding the potential use of plastic bottles and recycling issues associated with them and the Beverage RFP. Markley explained the student had spoken with himself and Alan Murray, and she will be able to address her concerns to the Beverage Contract Committee. Puccio asked for a copy of the RFPs. Schlereth indicated he would not distribute copies of the RFP, however they were available, upon request, from the Purchasing Office.
Toast Update
Utilities have been run to the sight and the facility should open in April. Puccio suggested the Associated Students sponsor a naming contest for the facility.
Residence Hall Dining Room Update
Schlereth noted the progress of the Zinfandel Dining Room renovation. All work is finished; however light fixtures and chairs had not yet arrived. Schlereth indicated we would meet there once the room was complete.
Deferred Maintenance Update
Schlereth presented the deferred maintenance list.

SONOMA STATE UNIVERSITY
MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR PROJECTS: 1998-1999

University Fund Sources

Fund Uses

HOUSING

Fund Sources

Fund Uses

The Vice-President indicated next year’s deferred maintenance list will be brought forward for prioritizing soon. Jim Christmann expressed appreciation for the renovation of Darwin 108, however some seat bottoms are falling off. Schlereth asked John Bond to look into the problem. Schlereth requested the formation of a faculty committee to discuss general purpose classroom renovations. Andy Merrifield indicated he would take the request to the Academic Senate’s Structures and Functions Committee.

Redwood Lounge Renovation

Schlereth explained the need for campus-gathering spaces developed from the recently completed WASC self-study. Schlereth explained six new gathering spaces developed to satisfy, in part, the WASC self-study. These six spaces are: Redwood Lounge, Darwin Lounge, Ives Lobby, Gym, Sauvignon Village, and Schultz Information Center. Schlereth proposed a nice area for people to gather in each of the spaces. Two spaces have been designed for consideration currently: Stevenson Lounge (Redwood Lounge) and Darwin Lobby. Schlereth added two questions must be answered:

  1. Should we have the gathering spaces?
  2. Do we like the design?

Walker and Markley presented the designs for the Stevenson and Darwin gathering spaces. Discussion ensued and the following points were made: By consensus, the group felt the gathering spaces were needed and a good idea. Spending for this project could affect instructional renovation dollars, however the Committee will make that decision. Some design modifications were suggested.

SSU Proposed Revised Master Plan

Schlereth asked this item be moved to accommodate the time certain. No objections were raised from the Committee. Deborah DuVall presented a historical perspective of our Master Plan and proposed changes to our current plan. The Campus Planning Committee suggested input be solicited from campus stakeholders on the proposed changes. A consulting firm has been retained to complete an environmental impact report and DuVall would like to obtain Trustee approval of the revised Master Plan by March of 2000. The core of the campus would remain within Redwood Circle, but more academic buildings would be placed on the East Side of Redwood Circle. Future housing and the Proposed Music Center have been added along with revision to the athletic fields to break up the parking lots. Katie Pierce asked if any part of the EIR was unneeded since the cost of the report would hit the campus reserve. DuVall indicated the EIR had been pared down somewhat, however further paring could jeopardize the essential information in the report. Schlereth added the cost for the EIR is $200,000 of which 50% will be paid by housing and 50% will be paid over two years from the general fund.

AFD Financial Issues

Schlereth reviewed the analysis distributed with the agenda packet.

ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCE ISSUES: $565,000

Housing Growth Acceleration: $325,000

Funding for EMT Summer Stipends: $10,000

General Housing Operations: $10,000

Funding for Historical COLA Variance, Residence Life: $50,000

General Housing Operations $ 50,000

Funding for Debt Service Garbage Truck: $16,000

New Revenue to Division 98-99: $16,000*

Funding for Administration/Management - Financial Control: $33,409

New Revenue to Division 98-99 MCF $ 33,409*

Funding for Interfund Loan Payment to Parking: $100,000

AFD Bad Debt Collection $100,000

Unfunded Requirements, Priorities and Issues

Melinda Barnard indicated she would like Temporary High School to read Temporary High School/Housing as to reflect we are renovating housing buildings not building new structures.

PBAC Update

Schlereth briefed Members on issues confronting the PBAC.

STATUS OF THE UNIVERSITY RESERVE 1998-1999

Unit Assessments

Current known reserve obligations for 1998-1999 stand at $288,535 as follows:

Unit Assessments:
* Total EIR project costs are estimated at $200,000. The following funds sources have been identified:

** Non-General Funds required.

Sonoma State University Utilization of Instructional Equipment Dollars

1994-1995 $200,000 President establishes an on-going General Fund appropriation for instructional equipment. Appropriation placed in the University-Wide Budget Category. Resources to fund the appropriation were generated via the administrative Reengineering activities of the campus. The appropriation was then moved to the base budget of he Division of Academic Affairs (Provost Office) in fiscal 95-96.

1997-1998 $200,000 President increases the on-going General Fund appropriation for instructional equipment. Appropriation placed in the base budgets of the 5 schools. Resources to fund the appropriation were generated by a reduction in the base budget of the Division of Administration and Finance.

1998-1999 $165,000 The CSU Trustees provide a one-time allocation of $165,000 for instructional equipment. Appropriation placed in the University-Wide budget category.

Fund Sources
Fund Item Amount Status
1994-1995 Appropriation from the President $200,000 Permanent
1997-1998 Appropriation from the President $200,000 Permanent
1998-1999 Appropriation from the Trustees $165,000 One-Time
TOTAL $565,000  

Current Utilization
Budget Item Amount Status
Faculty Position - Education $ 88,529 Permanent
Administrative Position - Osborne Preserve $ 38,427 Permanent
Administrative Position - Sponsored Programs $ 71,109 Permanent
Provost's Operating Expense $ 1,935 Permanent
Ukiah Liberal Studies Program $ 62,640 Permanent
Mendocino College Building Project $ 40,000 5 years
Faculty Position - Business and Economics $ 54,000 Permanent
Partial Funding - Faculty Travel $ 43,360 Permanent
Instructional Equipment Purchases $165,000 One-Time
TOTAL $565,000  

UTILIZATION OF TELEPHONE SWITCH DOLLARS

Utilization 1986 - 1996

Lease Purchase Payments, Phone Switch $197,985

Current Utilization

Administrative Position, Information Technology $ 76,200
Additional general operating expense, Information Technology $121,785
TOTAL $197,985

CRC Sub-Committee Reports

Alternative Transportation Gloria Ogg updated the Members on the progress of this Sub-Committee. Surveys of bicyclist needs have been created, but the Committee has not yet met to discuss this. The free Bus Pass Program has been successful, however the grant is non-renewable and Ogg is looking into alternative ways to fund this program in the future.

Exterior Lighting Task Force John Bond briefed the Members on the progress of the Task Force. All previously identified work has been complete. An additional walk through had been scheduled and completed with additional suggestions implemented. Bond suggested exterior lighting to be revisited annually for updating. At the request of a member, Dennis Harris will be scheduling two walk throughs during the year to examine exterior lighting.

Human Resources Information Group Nakamoto updated the Members on the progress on this Sub-Committee. The group has made good progress in recruitment and a workers compensation workshop is upcoming. Melinda asked the Member of the CRC to commend Nakamoto on the improved performance of the group.

Financial Services Information Group Wilson briefed the Committee on the progress of this Sub-Committee. Wilson indicated information was given and collected by Members of the group. Wilson explained a change in the IRS travel rules, which entails taxing any claimed food expenses on business trips when an overnight stay is not required. Schlereth added, he and Janice Peterson have been assessing each unit's fiscal condition and so far each assessment has been good.

Key Control Procedures

Schlereth asked for a motion to open the item for discussion. A motion was made by Christmann. A second was obtained by Bernie Goldstein. Ogg explained changes that were made to the policy based on suggestions at the previous CRC meeting. A vote to approve the policy was taken and it passed unanimously.

Policy Revision

Acceptance of Artwork Public Spaces

Schlereth asked for a motion to open the item for discussion. A motion was made by Harris. A second was obtained from Ogg. Bond indicated only language changes were made to the policy. A vote to approve the revised policy was taken and it passed unanimously.

Schlereth asked for a motion to open the item for discussion. A motion was made by Goldstein. A second was obtained from Floyd Ross. Mr. Wilson explained only changes in titles and names were made to the policy. A vote to approve the revised policy was taken and it passed unanimously.

Items for the Good of the Order

The following items were suggested for the good of the order:

Adjournment

Schlereth adjourned the Committee at 3:55PM

Minutes prepared by Neil Markley

CRC Minutes 1998-1999
Updated 2008-01-08
AFD.WebContact@Sonoma.edu