CAMPUS REENGINEERING COMMITTEE MINUTES

April 28, 2000

MEMBERS PRESENT

MEMBERS ABSENT

APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA

Larry Schlereth brought the meeting to order at 12:25 PM. Schlereth asked for a motion to approve the Agenda. Rand Link moved and Mike Kiraly seconded a motion to approve the Agenda. The Agenda was passed unanimously.

APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES, March 31, 2000

Schlereth asked for a motion to approve the minutes of March 31, 2000. Steve Wilson moved and Lynn McIntyre seconded the motion. The minutes were passed unanimously with abstentions from those not in attendance at the March 31, 2000 meeting.

ACTION/INFORMATION ITEMS TO DATE

Schlereth asked Members to review the Action/Information Items to date.

VICE-PRESIDENT’S REPORT

Auditors are on campus for auxiliary compliance Review audit.

The Campus Planning Committee recommended the approval of the revised Master Plan. Schlereth complimented Deborah DuVall, the faculty in ENSP, and the Friends of Copeland Creek for their hard work.

As part of the ESAS reorganization, Financial Aid will be moving into Administration and Finance on July 1.

Student housing may continue tripling due to the continued demand. As a requirement for student housing expansion, a demand study is being conducted to assess the demand for new student housing. Jim Christmann asked if the demand in housing reflected increased enrollment. Drew Calandrella feels it does not because transfer student applications are down.

Project Manager Phil Kay resigned and is being replaced by recently hired Chris Dinno.

The 1999-2000 University Budget is available and has been distributed to Members. Availability of the budget will be published in the Star.

Schlereth complimented Sam Scalise, Michele Davidoff, and the entire telecommunications team for their hard work and smooth installation of the voice/data switch.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Alternate Transportation
None
IT Advisory Committee
Schlereth informed the Members that the IT Advisory Committee discussed both the Ssuite product and enhancements needed in IT. Kathryn Crabbe expressed concern that the level of technology knowledge on the IT Advisory Committee may not be representative of the campus community. Schlereth indicated this is most likely true and needs to be addressed. Katie Pierce noted that this was on the Dean’s Council agenda. Pierce expressed concern that Burke Cochran’s name has been attached to a position being discussed by the committee and asked Members to remember to separate the person from the position. Steve Wilson reassured Crabbe that members of the IT Advisory Committee addressed a wide spectrum of views and feels they were representative of the campus community.
Faculty/Staff Housing
Markley informed the Members that the Faculty and Staff Housing Committee are developing eligibility parameters and reviewing possible amenities for the homes.
CMS
Schlereth informed the Members that May 1 will be the start of the readiness assessment for CMS. Delliote Consulting will be facilitating the process. Five searches are being readied to backfill for existing positions and to create an implementation team.
Classroom Renovation
Has not met and is awaiting faculty appointments.
Copeland Creek
Has not met.
Staff Training and Development
Edna Nakamoto informed the Members that the Staff Training and Development Committee is developing priorities and business software training seems high on the list.

CAMPUS FINANCIAL AFFAIRS

(See the 4/28/00 Agenda Packet for this document)

Schlereth explained the North Campus entrance had been removed from the campus-funding list and the CRC would take this up later in the meeting. Schlereth also informed Members that faculty development, staff development, and technology support were combined into one "global" topic.

VEHICLE USE POLICY

(See the 4/28/00 Agenda Packet for this document)

Susan McKillop moved and Ahmed Hosseini seconded a motion to approve the Vehicle Use Policy. Gloria Ogg noted the two changes that were made based on discussions from the previous CRC meeting. Nakamoto suggested clarifying section III V. F. Jim Christmann noted two typographical errors that needed correction. Christmann suggested a one to one-and-a-half page summary be developed. Christmann indicated chains should not be used on front wheel drive automobiles. Finally, Christmann suggested "found at fault" be added to section IV F. The Vehicle Use Policy was passed unanimously.

MPP RECONSIDERATION POLICY

(See the 4/28/00 Agenda Packet for this document)

Schlereth asked Members to review this policy for a vote at the next CRC meeting.

POSTAGE AND BILLING SIMPLIFICATION

(See the 4/28/00 Agenda Packet for this document)

Christmann asked that the charges be based on an average established from more than one year’s data. Schlereth feels the Administrative Managers are very forthright and a one-year measure should be sufficient. Further, triggers and an internal audit will be in place to catch usage spikes. Christmann suggested a third item be added to deal with these monitoring systems.

MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR PRIORITIES 2000-2001

(See the 4/28/00 Agenda Packet for this document)

Christmann requested to see the deferred maintenance list. Schlereth said he would bring it to the second reading. Pierce expressed her concern that she does not want to see classroom renovation deferred again. Kitty Salsedo feels the replacement of the gym floor is very important. Phil McGough asked to see a percentage allocated yearly to renovations. Schlereth said this could be done. Susan McKillop asked that earthquake preparedness notices be installed with new renovations. Nakamoto said she would follow up with Linda Lipps on this.

SSUITE

(See the 4/28/00 Agenda Packet for this document)

Christmann feels this is an expensive program that we cannot afford. Schlereth agrees this is expensive; however he feels it has become a cost of doing business. Wilson agrees and likened computers to the typewriters and calculators of the past. Christmann still feels this is too expensive and does not want to see other budgets be further reduced. Rand Link asked for more detail in the $500 support figure. He would like to see options that would adjust the cost and services provided. He also feels some benchmarking may be necessary. Carol Cinquini feels the SSUITE product needs to be addressed at some point especially with the onset of CMS. McGough would also like to see options explored.

PARKING FEE STRUCTURE

(See the 4/28/00 Agenda Packet for this document)

Shrouf suggested a carpool program be incorporated into this new plan. Ogg feels the higher fees would encourage drivers to carpool without a formal program. The previous carpool program was not well utilized. Brian Turner expressed his support of option A. To encourage carpooling, he would like to see Music Center patrons charged per car rather than per ticket. McKillop feels a garage may be the best option to better utilize our land. Link asked if a phased model could be adopted for the fee. He also feels the Music Center revenue is low. Schlereth said a phased program could not be done due to bond requirements. Further, the Music Center revenue projections are conservative and are based on Santa Rosa Symphony attendance projects only. Other Music Center events are some time out and cannot be accurately determined at this time. Christmann suggested a smaller subsidy and a fee that matches the CPI may make sense. He finds it problematic that a student, faculty, or staff already buying a parking permit would also have to pay for parking at the Music Center. Neil Markley feels the parking fees should increase or decrease yearly based on the CPI. He also feels it would not be fair to only increase fees to one segment of the campus population. Everyone should share the cost of the fee increase. Ogg noted that if we had been following the CPI increases since 1987, we would not be asking for a fee increase today.

SALAZAR SCHEMATIC DESIGN

Bruce Walker presented a possible schematic design for Salazar Hall.

Schlereth adjourned the meeting at 4:05 so Members could tour Sauvignon Village

Minutes prepared by Neil Markley

CRC Minutes 1999-2000
Updated 2008-01-09
AFD.WebContact@Sonoma.edu