Fitness Center Policies
The following policies and procedures have been set up to serve participants and make the fitness center more enjoyable for all of its users.
The Recreation Center’s Fitness Center is for the use of currently enrolled students, extended education students, alumni, faculty and staff, emeritus and retirees, and family and sponsored guests of the University.
- Appropriate closed-toe footwear is mandatory. No bare feet, sandals, slippers, water shoes or heeled shoes. The Fitness Center staff reserves the right to judge the acceptability of footwear.
- Shirts must be worn at all times. Full length t-shirts and tank tops are acceptable. Bare mid-drifts are not allowed.
- Jeans (full length or cut-off) or pants (with belts or exposed metal) that result in damage to equipment upholstery will not be allowed in the Fitness Center.
- To protect the equipment and improve sanitation, all participants are asked to bring a towel or check one out at the Fitness Center desk.
- Remember to always return borrowed towels to the Fitness Center Desk or the Front Desk.
- Coats, books, bags, etc. cannot be left near exercise equipment or carried throughout the Fitness Center.
- All personal belongings must be checked-in at the Fitness Center desk or placed in a Fitness Center cubby. Campus Recreation, the Sonoma Student Union Corporation and Sonoma State University are not responsible for personal articles left in the Fitness Center.
- Free Day-use lockers and Semester Rental Lockers are available (through the Front Desk for the Recreation Center) in each locker room on a limited basis.
General Fitness Center Policies
- Food and beverages are prohibited except closed, plastic containers of water.
- Children under the age of 16 are prohibited in the Fitness Center at any time.
- Profanity, abusive language or flagrant behavior will not be tolerated. Persistent use of such behavior, deemed unacceptable by the Fitness Center staff, will result in forfeiture of utilization privileges.
- Chewing gum and sunflowers seeds are not permitted.
- Smoking and other tobacco products are prohibited.
- Please do not spit on the Rec Center floor.
- Damaged or defective equipment should be reported immediately to the Fitness Center staff.
- Please do not remove any signage from damaged or defective equipment.
- Please limit working out in groups to a maximum of five people so everyone can enjoy the Fitness Center
Proper utilization for free weights and resistance machines are required. Fitness Center staff can only provide guidance for the correct use of all equipment and machines. The staff cannot provide exercise prescription. Personal trainers, not employed by Campus Recreation’s personal training program, are not permitted to provide paid services in the Recreation Center. The Fitness Center staff can provide information about programs offered through the Recreation Center.
General Equipment Policies
- Fitness Center equipment is not permitted to leave the Fitness Center at any time.
- Outside fitness equipment is not permitted in the Fitness Center. This includes, but is not limited to, jump ropes, cable attachments, head harnesses and dip/pull-up belts.
- Although not provided by the Fitness Center staff, lifting gloves/straps and lifting belts (without chains) are permitted in the facility.
- Please do not drop the weights.
- Please re-rack your weight plates, dumbbells, and/or barbells after you are finished using them.
- We strongly encourage the use of collars with barbells at all times.
- Please do not stand or step on exercise benches.
- The use of a spotter is recommended; use weight you can handle with good form. Never sacrifice form for weight.
- Use of chalk is not allowed.
- Breathe properly; exhale with exertion.
Resistance (Plate Loaded and Selectorized) Equipment
- Do not drop the weight stack. Use smooth motions, do not jerk the weights.
- Weight belts are not to be worn on equipment that when properly used would involve the belt coming into contact with the equipment upholstery.
- Warm up and cool down exercises are recommended.
- Avoid resting on machines between sets. Please allow other participants to “work in” between sets.
- Users may be required to sign up on a waiting list for each individual machine.
- Please limit your workout to 30 minutes during peak usage times. When people are waiting, machines must be forfeited to the next user at the end of the 30 minutes.
- Individuals on sign-up lists have priority and must be present to begin using the equipment when his/her name is called; otherwise his/her place will be forfeited and the name will be removed from the list.
- Please wipe down equipment after use with the disinfectant and cleaning towels provided. Please do not spray directly on the display panels.
- Orientation sessions are recommended for those unfamiliar with the Fitness Center and/or its equipment. Free Fitness Center Orientations are available anytime during regular operating hours (confirm availability with Fitness Center Staff).
If you have any questions or concerns, please inform the staff on duty or leave a note for the Fitness Coordinator.
Serious consideration will be given to all suggestions.
The Fitness Center staff reserves the right to judge the level of acceptability on all policies and procedures.