Schulz Learning Center at SSU

“ Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ”
—Chief Seattle, 1855

SSU students at a table

The Strength in Asking for Help

| No Comments

Special thanks to service-learning FIG Leadership students in UNIV238 01 for the posts in this special series on resources for those struggling with cancer and their loved ones.

yadira-headshot.jpg

As a Latina, I understand how hard it can be to reach out. My culture tends to stray away from asking for help in times of emotional need, but I think that reaching out for help, especially as a Latino student, can only make one stronger and truly help us through the difficulties of a sick family member. I know that when my grandmother was dying of diabetes, as much as I held in my pain, I wish that I could have had the support of an organization as special as the Cancer Support Community.

That's why I'm so excited to tell you all about a Bay Area support group for those going through cancer or others who are affected by a loved one who is. The Cancer Support Community of the Bay Area (formerly known as The Wellness Community) was established in 1990 and has become the largest professionally-led network of cancer support, worldwide. They provide programs and services for cancer patients as well as their families. They provide different support groups that meet weekly, monthly, and bi-monthly in the East Bay and Silicon Valley, all of which can be seen on their calendar. They even offer specialized Latino, Child and Teen programs to make the most out of every meeting, service and program.

The Cancer Support Community is dedicated to emotional support, education, and hope for everyone they help. For more information on this wonderful support system, explore their website or contact them personally!
In closing, since this is my final post, I hope you have enjoyed the blogs submitted by me and the other Leadership FIG students and that you have found them educational and helpful!