Fees, Costs and Financial Services

The United States Department of Homeland Security and the California State University System require international students to demonstrate that sufficient funding is available to meet all college and living expenses for one academic year before a form I-20 or DS-2019 can be issued. The student will also need duplicate copies of these documents when going to the U.S. consulate for a visa interview.

If you will use your own personal funds as the source of financial support, you must provide an official bank statement showing the availability of at least $34,000 (undergraduate) or $33,000 (graduate) in liquid assets. Bank statements can be no older than 6 months.

If a private sponsor (family member, friend, or private institution) will provide your financial support, this sponsor must either sign the Affidavit of Support below or provide a signed letter declaring their relationship to you and his/her intent to provide financial support throughout your study at Sonoma State University. In addition, sponsors must also provide an official bank statement showing the availability of at least $34,000 (undergraduate) or $33,000 (graduate) in liquid assets. Bank statements can be no older than 6 months.

If you will be living "free of charge" with friends or family, this sponsor must provide a signed letter confirming his /her intention to provide you room and board throughout your stay, as well as stating his/her name, relationship to you, and providing a local address and phone number.

If a government or private scholarship/grant will support you, the sponsoring agency must provide official certification of the award. Sponsorship statements can be no older than 6 months.

You will have to provide duplicate copies of all financial statements when going for a visa interview.

Sonoma State University does not have financial aid for international students and off-campus employment is not permitted. Currently tuition, fees and living expenses are estimated as follows:

Expense Undergraduate
(12 units/sem) x 2
(8 units/sem) x 2
California State Tuition fees plus Campus-based fees* 7276.00 8500.00
Non-resident Tuition/Fees ($372 per unit) 8928.00 5952.00
Books and materials 1788.00 1788.00
Housing/Food (full meal plan: 17 meals per week) 11545.00 11545.00
Personal expenses 3500.00 3500.00
Health Insurance (annual fee 2014-15)** 1189.00 1189.00
TOTAL: 34226.00 32474.00

*The California State University (CSU) makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum.  Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by the Board of Trustees.

Go to Registration Fees, Campus-based fees for a list of fees broken down.

Non-resident Students

Non-residents and foreign visa students are required to pay non-resident tuition fees in addition to fees charged to all students.

Non-Resident Tuition did not increase in 2010/11 nor 2011/12, however at the June, 2010 meeting, the CSU eliminated the maximum academic year total number of units for which this fee applies. All units taken by nonresident students are now charged the nonresident tuition rate.

Tuition for Non-Resident Students in addition to registration fees:
Per Unit $372

Non-resident students are eligible for an installment payment plan. There is a 15% service fee on the plan. Contact the Seawolf Services Office for details prior to July 1, 2014, or pay fees in full by that date.

For MBA only - $254  per unit professional fee (additional $4448 per year).

Please note that international travel and extraordinary personal expenses are not included in the cost estimates above.
Family Members: Students who will be accompanied by a spouse and/or children will need to submit additional documentation of financial support ($3700 for spouse and $2900 for each child.)

(If you will be a graduate student in either the CES, PSYCHOLOGY, ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT, SPANISH or EMBA Program you will pay through our Extended Education Division and the tuition/fee structure is different. Housing, food, personal expense and health insurance estimates remain the same.)


International students are eligible to apply for university scholarships which are offered on an annual basis. For more information about this please go to http://www.sonoma.edu/scholarship


Students studying in the US on either an F1 or a J1 visa are allowed to work only on campus, a total of 20 hours per week. There are employment opportunities of all sorts on campus and international students can be found working throughout the campus. The web site for student jobs is www.sonoma.edu/career.