Frequently Asked Questions

What services does CAPS offer?

We provide a variety of services: counseling for individuals, crisis intervention; groups and workshops; classroom presentations; campus-wide consultation with student groups, staff, and faculty; and referrals to the community.

Who can use the Center?

Students who are currently enrolled at SSU and have paid their registration fees are eligible for our services. (This does not include Extended Education and Open University Students.) For people wishing couples/partner counseling, both individuals must be enrolled SSU students.

What can I talk with my counselor about?

You are free to talk about any issues that may be troubling or confusing to you, including concerns about your relationship with a partner, relative or child. Sometimes you may know quite clearly “what’s bothering you,” and your counselor will help you develop new strategies for dealing with these problems. At other times you may have general feelings of being “anxious,” “depressed,” or “unmotivated.” Your counselor can help you begin to clarify these feelings by asking questions and offering feedback about what he/she is hearing or observing.

The people we work with discuss a variety of topics, including relationship issues, stress, depression, anxiety, loneliness, sexuality, eating issues, perfectionism, academic concerns, discrimination, and transition difficulties.

Will anyone else have access to information about me?

Everything you say to your counselor is confidential. Our staff will not release the information that you have come to our office without a signed release from you. The exceptions to confidentiality are the same as in all settings: we believe that there was a possibility of you hurting yourself or someone else, or if we need to report child, dependent, or elder abuse.

If I go to the Counseling Center, does that mean there's something wrong with me?

No, it doesn’t. Most students who use our services are interested in their personal growth and adjustment to changes in their lives. Many students face normal developmental concerns and academic pressures while at SSU, and at times feel anxious, angry, or depressed. It is often helpful to gain the perspective of a neutral professional. CAPS staff is trained to help you think about alternatives or options to your behavior and ways of dealing with the world.

How long may I be seen?

We focus on short-term therapy; the exact number of sessions will be negotiated with your counselor.

What if I need to be seen longer?

If your concerns require long-term or more intensive counseling, we willhelp you to connect with a private therapist or community agency. We are familiar with most of the social service agencies in Sonoma County.

How do I make an appointment?

Please call or come by the office during office hours, Monday-Friday, 8am-5:00pm and speak with the receptionist. Our phone number is (707) 664-2153.

What if my needs are urgent?

Drop-in hours are from Noon–1pm and 3pm–4pm, Monday–Thursday; and from Noon–1pm on Friday. This is a brief meeting to help you with immediate concerns. Your counselor will assist you with any further services. In addition, 24 hours a day, you can call Sonoma County Crisis Line at (707) 576-8181, or call SSU Police Services at (707) 664-4444.

What if I am concerned about a friend or roommate?

You can set an appointment and talk with a counselor about what you can do to help your friend and/or help them see a counselor. If you think your friend is in a serious crisis, call immediately. If CAPS is closed, call SSU Police Services at (707) 664-4444.

Can I request a particular counselor?

We are not usually able to have the luxury of allowing clients to choose a counselor. Often there are more people requesting services than available counselors, requiring a wait list. Therefore, we will generally assign you to a counselor on the basis of schedule availability. If you do, however, have a preference with respect to gender, race/ethnicity, or sexual orientation, please advise the receptionist and we will try to accommodate you. If you have any concerns, you can discuss them with your counselor in the first session.

What if I need to talk with someone on evenings or weekends?

CAPS is not open on evenings, weekends, holidays, or vacation breaks. If you need services during these times, please call the Sonoma County Crisis Line at (707) 576-8181, or the SSU Police Department at (707) 664-4444.