The mission of Sonoma State University is to prepare students to be learned men and women who:
- have a foundation for life-long learning,
- have a broad cultural perspective,
- have a keen appreciation of intellectual and aesthetic achievements,
- will be active citizens and leaders in society,
- are capable of pursuing fulfilling careers in a changing world, and
- are concerned with contributing to the health and well-being of the world at large.
Click here for information about the University’s Mission Statement.
The university offers selected professional and graduate programs leading to master's degrees, teaching credentials, and certificates in various career fields. These programs respond to regional and state needs within the academic, business, education and professional communities.
To further the mission of the University, eight strategic areas were identified (2008-2009 to 2012-2013):
Sonoma State University Diversity Statement
- Academic Programs: Sustain and develop challenging, innovative, intellectually rigorous academic programs that engage students and faculty in life-long learning, critical thinking, inquiry, and reflection.
- Community Engagement: Enhance collaborative relationships with the local communities and the surrounding region to foster educational, social, cultural, and economic development.
- Diversity: Increase student, faculty, staff, and administration diversity and incorporate cultural diversity awareness and competence in all aspects of University operations.
- Enrollment Management: Manage enrollment to achieve our target and maximize student retention, graduation, and satisfaction.
- External Support: Increase private and public sector support of the University’s mission.
- Faculty and Staff: Enhance a supportive environment that will attract and retain faculty and staff and contribute to their professional growth and their ability to support the University’s mission.
- Infrastructure: Address infrastructure needs and prepare the physical plant for enrollment growth while meeting sustainability objectives
- Quality of Student Experience: Provide SSU students with a quality co-curricular experience and a residential environment that leads to enhanced learning and personal growth.
We at Sonoma State University strive to create a campus climate in which the will to build trust among people—and groups of people—is widely shared, and opportunities for enhancing diversity and a sense of community are encouraged and supported. We stand committed to fostering and sustaining a pluralistic, inclusive environment that empowers all members of the campus community to achieve their highest potential without fear of prejudice or discrimination.
- We strive to build an exemplary educational community characterized by:
- an intellectual environment that is both challenging and nurturing,
- encouragement and support for curriculum and pedagogy dedicated to diversity issues,
- a commitment to social justice,
- a respect for diversity,
- and a genuine appreciation of how the many differences among us enrich a liberal arts and sciences university.