Office: Stevenson Hall 3096-D
Office Hours: call or email for an appointment
Dr. Emiliano Ayala
Professor, Department of Educational Leadership and Special Education
- [EDSP 422A] Case Management/Transition Planning in SPED
- [EDSP 400] Foundations of Special Education
- [EDEL 515] Legal Issues in Special Education
For the past 11 years, I have been a faculty member at Sonoma State University with the Department of Educational Leadership and Special Education. Currently, I am a Full Professor and Department Chair for the Educational Leadership and Special Education Programs. In addition, I direct a federal grant across the CSU in support of college students with disabilities. Prior to my appointment at SSU, I worked in Southern California as a Bilingual School Psychologist, worked for the State Department of Education, was a Social Work Counselor with the Regional Center, and Paraprofessional in classrooms supporting students with disabilities. 23 years of service to our disability community and I still love the work.
- PhD, San Diego State/Claremont Graduate University, 2000
- MS, San Diego State University, 1989
- BA, University of California, Santa Cruz, 1986
- Special Education (Assessment; Multicultural Populations; Preschool; Families)
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Universal Design for Learning
Academic & Professional Experience
- Project Director: EnACT~PTD (U.S. Department of Education) Project Co-Director: Access by Design (National Science Foundation)
Recent Scholarship and Publications
- Ayala, E.C. & Christie, B. (2010). Supporting STEM faculty to meet the needs of students with disabilities: Universal design for learning. Design for All. Delhi: India Invited manuscript submitted for publication.
- Ayala, E.C. & Christie, B. (2010). Engaging diverse learners through universal design for learning. International Journal of Higher Education. Sapporo, Japan: Hokkaido University Press.
- Ayala, E.C., Brace, H.B., & Stahl, S. (pending publication). Preparing teachers for UDL implementation. In T. Hall, A. Meyer & D. Rose E (Eds.), Universal Design for Learning and Technology in the Classroom (Chapter 10). Vanderbuilt: Guildford Press.
- Ayala, E.C. & Christie, B. (2009). Access by design: Supporting undergraduate students with disabilities. NSF Award No. 072855, pp.1-6. Rohnert Park, Sonoma State University
- Ayala, E.C. & Christie, B. (2009). Universal design for learning: A proactive pedagogical approach. Senate Forum, Volume XXIV (2)1-6. Fullerton, California State University.