Rod Buchignani, Ed.D.
Lecturer, Department of Educational Leadership and Special Education
Bringing 35+ years of experience in public education to support candidates in the Educational Administration program. Teaching experience ranges from elementary, middle, high school and university instruction.
- Ed.D., Educational Administration Policy Analysis, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
- Educational Administration Credential Program, Sacramento State University, Sacramento, California
- BA Degree Social Sciences, San Jose State University, San Jose, California
- Graduate, California Executive Leadership Academy
- Graduate, California State Department of Education, California Leadership Academy Senior Associate
- Action Research
- Politics in Education
- Charter School Research and Evaluation
Academic & Professional Experience
- Educational Administration Assessment & Accreditation Assistant Assist Department Faculty with Assessment & Accreditation needs and requirements, coordinate student recruitment and Community Advisory Focus Group activities. Lecturer for Educational Leadership program, field experience supervisor Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, California 2011-Present
- Educational Administration Program Lecturer. Field Experience in Administration fieldwork supervisor. Guide and supervise Educational Leadership Candidates through the yearlong fieldwork project that links hands?on administrative experiences with coursework. Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, California 2006-Present
- District Superintendent 1991-2006 Piner-Olivet Union School District Responsibilities Included: K-12 Educational program, budget, personnel, employee union negotiations, new school construction and directly responsible to a five member elected board of education. Service highlights: raised district student state test scores and staff levels of efficacy, the creation of 6-8 and 9-12 charter schools, extended day kindergarten programs, collaborative bargaining employee relations, successfully implemented a teachers' salary formula, the successful passage of a general obligation bond election and implementing a systemic change effort that effectively altered the district's culture, employee relations, board policies, budget and standing within the community. Lead the planning, designing, funding, construction and staffing of a new K-8 school campus.
- District Superintendent 1989-1991 Harmony Union School District, Occidental, California Responsibilities Included: K-8 Educational program, budget, personnel, employee union negotiations, new school construction and directly responsible to a five member elected board of education. Service highlights: helped to secure new school funding, building design and negotiated with the State Allocation Board for a bridge to the new school campus and other infrastructure. Successfully completed two teacher dismissals. Introduced Interest Based Bargaining.
- Interim District Superintendent, Principal and Assistant Principal 1983-1989 Responsibilities Included: K-8 Educational program, budget, personnel, employee union negotiations, new school construction and directly responsible to a five member elected board of education.
- Esparto Unified School District, Esparto, California Assistant Superintendent Personnel/High School Principal 1975-1976 Responsibilities Included: Implementation of California's new Collective Bargaining Law in the District. Personnel and employee union negotiations. Service highlights: Implementation of Collective Bargaining, establishment of contract language and negotiations process.
- Esparto High School Principal 1974-1976 Responsibilities Included: 9-12 instructional program, staffing and teaching assignments in a small necessary high school setting, oversee completion of new construction project and school budget development. Service highlights: saw that the high school remained open during a contentious teachers strike, increase AP offerings, established working relationship with migrant workers community and the school's boosters club.
- Washington Unified School District, West Sacramento, California District Curriculum Committee/Special Assistant to the Superintendent 1971-1973 Responsibilities Included: Represent District middle school teachers in redesigning the curriculum K-12. Assist the superintendent in carrying forward his curriculum and program design.
- Harmony Union School District, Occidental, California Teacher, Grades 6, 7-8 1977-1982
- Washington Unified School District, West Sacramento, California Teacher, Grades 9-12 and 7-8 1969-1974
- Estado Aragua, Maracay, Venezuela, Teacher, Primary, High School (part time) 1967-1969
Recent Scholarship and Publications
- Buchignani, Rod, Henry, Robert, Imbimbo, Jackie, McDonough, Jane, & Scardamaglia, Richard, Why Charter Schools: A Step-by-Step Guide to Establishing, Managing, and Evaluating Charter Schools. August 2000
- Buchignani, Rod, "Grade-Level Budgeting: An Incentive for Stronger Instructional Programs." School Leadership: Reflections on Practice by California's Instructional Leaders. Far West Laboratory for Educational Research and Development. 1989
- Buchignani, Rod, "Teacher Empowerment through Grade-Level Budgeting." Thrust. Association of California School Administrators. September 1989.