Office: Stevenson Hall 1078-F
Dr. Chiara Bacigalupa
Professor, Department of Early
"Education is for improving the lives of others and for leaving your community and world better than you found it." -- Marian Wright Edelman
- EDEC 201 Foundations of Early Care and Education
- EDEC 420 Child Development in the Family, School, and Community
- EDEC 435 Advocacy and Leadership on Behalf of Children and Families
- EDEC 490 Special Topics
- EDEC 535 Advocacy and Leadership in Early Childhood Education
Dr. Bacigalupa has been a professor of child development and early childhood education at Sonoma State University since 2007. Between 1987 and 1996, she worked with children from birth to age eight in early education settings in California and Minnesota, and in 1995 she began teaching in higher education. She currently serves as the chair of the SSU Early Childhood Studies Department and as a Sonoma County First 5 commissioner.
- PhD, University of Minnesota, 2005
- MA, California State University Northridge, 1991
- BA, University of California Santa Cruz, 1987
- Early Childhood Education
- Moral Development/Moral Education
- Child Care Quality
- Children's Perspectives on Educational Settings
- Leadership in Early Childhood Education
Academic & Professional Experience
- Associate Professor, Sonoma State University, 2007-present
- Assistant Professor, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, 2005-2007
- Instructor and Research Assistant, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, 1999-2003
- Instructor (on-line), Concordia University, St. Paul, MN, 2005
- Instructor, Dakota County Technical College, Rosemount MN, 1995-1999
- Preschool Teacher, 1987-1998
Recent Scholarship and Publications
Bacigalupa, C. (2015). Partnering with families through photo collages. Early Childhood Education Journal. DOI: 10.1007/s10643-015-0724-3
Lensmire, T., Snaza, N., Nathan, R., Brooks, S., & Bacigalupa, C. (2015). Dangerous play: Race and Bakhtin in a graduate classroom. In F. Condon & V. Young (Eds.), Performing anti-racist pedagogy in rhetoric, writing, and communication. WAC Clearinghouse (e-version) and Parlor Press (print).
Ceglowski, D., Bacigalupa, C., & Peck, E.J. (2011). Aced out: Censorship of qualitative research in the age of “scientifically-based research.” Qualitative Inquiry, 17, 679-686.
Bacigalupa, C. & Wright, C. (2009). “And then a huge, huge giant grabbed me!” Aggression in children’s stories. Submitted to Early Childhood Research and Practice 11(2),n.p.
Wright, C., Bacigalupa, C., Black, T., & Burton, M. (2008). Windows into children’s thinking: A guide to storytelling and dramatization. Early Childhood Education Journal 35(4), 363-369.