How to Apply to the Multiple Subject Program
The Multiple Subject Credential program course requirements are being updated based on new expectations by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Prerequisite courses currently required are likely to change for students beginning Fall 2017. Please plan accordingly when you think about registering for courses for Spring or Summer 2017. Please check the School of Education website for updates www.sonoma.edu/education. For more information, email our Student Services Coordinator, Maricela Ibarra at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Department Chair, Dr. Kathy Morris at email@example.com.
Get Your Questions Answered
We encourage applicants to the Multiple Subject Credential Program to:
- read through the complete Basic Program and Structure Description
- attend an Information Workshop to learn about the program and the application process. Bring your questions to the meeting. Attendance is free, and no reservation is necessary. Multiple Subject Credential Program Information Workshops take place on the first Monday of the month (except on holidays) Check the worshop schedule for date and location information.
- or contact us in the Student Services/Credentials office at 707-664-2832 or firstname.lastname@example.org
All Credential and Master's Degree Applicants Must Apply to BOTH SSU and the Specific School of Education Program:
- You must apply to the Sonoma State University as a graduate/post baccalaureate student in order to be admitted to a Credential or Masters program in the School of Education.
- Please apply to SSU via www.csumentor.edu for your semester of interest.
- Then complete the application process for the School of Education Credential or Master's Degree program.
- Download the Multiple Subject Credential Program Application (PDF), and closely follow all step-by-step instructions in that document.
- To assist you as you work through the application, refer to the details regarding general School of Education admissions requirements on our Admissions/How to Apply page.
Prerequisite Enrollment Options
Summer: All Prerequisites required for the basic credential programs are offered during Summer session. Registration approval by the School of Education is required prior to enrolling through School of Extended and International Education (SEIE). Summer session schedule is found at SEIE Summer schedule.
Summer 2017 Offerings
EDUC 417 (School and Society, prerequisite for Multiple Subject and Single Subject)
Session 1: 9am –noon, M-Th
Session 2: 9am -noon M-Th
EDMS 419 ( Identity and Agency for Socially Just Classrooms and Communities , prerequisite for Multiple Subject only and EDUC 418)
Session 1: 1-4pm, M-Th
Session 3: 9am –noon, M-Th
EDSS 418 (Development in Adolescence and Emerging Adulthood, prerequiste for Single Subject only)
Session 1: 9am-noon M-Th
Session 2: 2-5pm M-Th
Fall or Spring: Submit a Graduate application via CSU Mentor and mention in the Statement of Purpose section that you want to take prerequisites.
Candidates may apply to a basic credential program prior to completion of or enrollment in the prerequisites. All prerequisite coursework must be completed in order to begin a Multiple or Single credential program.
Prerequisite Courses by Program
Multiple Subject Credential Program
EDUC 417 (3) School and Society*
*EDMS 419 (3) Identity and Agency for Socially Just Classrooms and Communities
This is a prerequisite for all students beginning the program on or after Fall 2017.
Note: EDMS 419 replaces EDMS 470 as a Multiple Subject program prerequisite. Students who have already successfully completed EDMS 470 (3) Multicultural Pedagogy will be able to substitute it for EDMS 419.
Single Subject Credential Program
EDUC 417 (3) School and Society*
EDSS 418 (3) Development in Adolescence and Emerging Adulthood*
There are no prerequisite courses.
Course Substitution Process
If you believe that you completed comparable coursework, please complete the Request for Substitution form and submit to the School of Education. One form is required per SSU course. Transcripts and course descriptions must accompany this form.
If you have any questions about this process, please contact the Credentials Office at 707-664-2832 or email email@example.com.
APPLICATION DEADLINES-CREDENTIAL PROGRAMS
|Credential Program Name||
Fall 2017 Application Period
|Single Subject||EXTENDED to March 30, 2017 ON A SPACE AVAILABLE BASIS. ONLY COMPLETED APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED during the extension period.|
|Preliminary Education Specialist||
EXTENDED to March 30, 2017. ONLY COMPLETE APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED during the extension period.
|Clear Induction Education Specialist Program||Priority - November 1, 2016- May 1, 2017|
|Admin Services Preliminary/Clear||Priority - November 1, 2016- May 1, 2017|
|Reading and Literacy Programs||November 1, 2016 - May 1, 2017|
offered spring, summer and fall semesters, call 707-664-2832
*Open to qualified intern candidates
NEED PREREQUISITE COURSES? Our prerequisites are offered in the Spring, Summer and Fall semesters. Apply now via www.csumentor.edu, or contact the Credentials Office for information: 707-664-2832 or firstname.lastname@example.org