The purpose of SMTRI project is to build science and mathematics capacity in our local community by focusing on the recruitment, preparation, and retention of science and mathematics teachers for our secondary schools. These are our goals:
- Recruit future science and mathematics teachers from five different sectors (High School Students, Junior College Students, SSU Undergraduates, Post Baccalaureates, and Career Changers)
- Prepare teachers efficiently and efficaciously depending on their backgrounds and needs.
- Provide some financial support for credential candidates.
- Support and retain science teachers in the community by establishing a science and mathematics professional learning community.
- Establish networks in the community to provide ongoing support for teachers and students.