MSDS Filing System
Three Step Filing
- Highlight the chemical name or common name on the first page of the MSDS.
- Write in the department or area that uses the chemical/product in the upper right hand corner of the MSDS as appropriate.
- Order by chemical or trade name into binders with the MSDS' filed alphabetically.
Alphabetical Order Details
- Filing order for chemicals does not consider numbers or punctuation, only the chemical name.
- File using "dichlorobenzene" and not "2,4-dichlorobenzene".
- Also, filing order for chemicals uses all of the letters in the chemical name. Examples are:
- "tert-butyl alcohol" is filed as "tertbutylalcohol"
- "N,N-dimethylamine" is filed as "NNdimethylamine"
- "L-phenylalanine" is filed as "Lphenylalanine"
- Filing order by trade name uses the full product name as listed on MSDS. An example is, "Super Window Cleaner".
- Filing order by generic product description will include the manufacturer. Examples are, "Fixer, Kodak" and "Insecticide, Dow".
- Cross file by trade name and chemical name as appropriate. For example, Chevron diesel fuel should be
filed as "Chevron Diesel Fuel" with a cross filing of "Diesel, Chevron".