Surplus Lab Equipment Decommissioning
Following is a list of potential environmental health and safety concerns that should be reviewed by the disposing department before surplusing of items. Scientific apparatus as well as other equipment are included.
Do not dispose of or surplus any equipment that contains any of the following items without a review by EH&S.
- PCB - Capacitors with PCB's, transformers with PCB's, oils, etc.
- Asbestos - Electrical or thermal insulation.
- Freons - Refrigeration units must be recycled.
- Mercury - Switches, manometers, thermometers, etc.
- Free Liquids - Petroleum oils, flammable or combustible liquids and any compressed gases
- Electronic Components - Any device with printed circuit boards (computers, phones, etc.)
- Heavy Metals - Arsenic from MBE or other semiconductor research.
- Lead - Shielding in counting or survey instrumentation.
- Radioactive Sources - Internal calibration or check sources in liquid scintillation counters, meters, etc.
- Batteries - Equipment with Uninterrupted Power Supplies (UPS).
Contact Environmental Health & Safety for assistance at (707) 664-4003.