Admission to the MSCES
For admission, the applicant must have:
- a baccalaureate degree in a scientific or technical discipline from an U.S. institution accredited by an appropriate accreditation body, or an equivalent baccalaureate degree from a foreign institution of high reputation.
- attained grade point average of at least 3.0 (A=4.00) in the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units attempted.
- demonstrate competency in writing by one of the WEPT (Written English Proficiency Test) criteria for MS-CES students given below. If this requirement is to be met by writing an essay, it should be submitted with the application for admission.
- completed the following SSU courses or equivalent at the undergraduate level with a GPA of 3.0 or higher:
- 3 semesters of Calculus (Math 161, 211, 241) and one semester of Probability Theory (Math 345)
- 1 semester of each of the following subjects: Electric Circuits with lab, Electronics with lab and Digital Circuits and Logic Design with lab (ES 220/221, ES 230/231 and ES 210)
- 2 semesters of Programming in an approved high level Procedural Language, modeling and simulation (CS 115 and ES 314)
- Biology prerequisite (for Bioengineering Track) or ES 310: Microprocessors and System Design (for the other tracks).
Whenever possible, the department offers highly intense and compressed courses as CES 490 which cover the material necessary to satisfy the prerequisite requirements. Please contact department office for more information regarding such offerings.
How to Apply
To apply to the MCSEC program, you SHOULD NOT apply through the online CSUMentor application website, please follow the application instructions below: All prospective students must complete and send the Application Form along with a US $55.00 non-refundable check or money order payable to Sonoma State University.
MPORTANT NOTE: Students who take more than two semesters off must reapply to the University to reactivate their files. Please fill out and print the Graduate Application Form and submit it along with a check for $55 payable to Sonoma State University before registration deadlines.
In addition to the Application Form, international students must complete the paper International Application. Please make sure you carefully read the Document of Financial Support. For more information about application deadlines, please refer to the International Application Process page. TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language with a minimum paper based score of 550, minimum computer based score of 213 or minimum internet based score of 79. Sonoma State's ETS code is 4723. (This requirement does not apply to those applicants who have studied in US for at least three consecutive years.)
NOTE: All International students are required to take FOEFL prior to their admission to SSU. Students who wish to be admitted to SSU without their TOEFL score can apply for SSALI. The university TOEFL requirement for undergraduates will be waived for students who successfully complete the advanced level of SSALI. For more information please contact Berta Hodges.
The applicants whose GPA is less than 3.0 but greater than 2.5, or who lack not more than 18 units of prerequisite work (generally, 6 courses), may be accepted conditionally and must complete a program of study specified by the graduate coordinator at the time of admission before being given full admission. Students who successfully complete SSALI courses are eligible to apply to the MSCES program.