SSU Emeritus and Retired Faculty and Staff Association
Watch this space for information about our Spring 2017 Biannual General Meeting.
ERFA Biannual General Meeting
Senator Mike McGuire, District 2, Northern California, SSU Alumnus
Topic: "The State of California and the General Election"
- Tuesday, September 6, 2016
- Alexander Valley Room, SSU Student Center
- Noon - 1:00: Brown Bag Lunch
- 1:00 - 2:00: Speaker and Discussion
RSVP with Sally Hurtado de Lopez via email, email@example.com, or by phone, 707-875-2305.
September 6, 2016
Dear Senator McGuire:
On behalf of the ERFA Board and all members of the campus community who were present at your presentation today, I want to give you a hearty thanks for your willingness to come and speak to us. Your thoughtful and well-informed remarks were very interesting, and helpful in our making sense of a chaotic political season. We have new respect for your patience in dealing with the roadblocks in Sacramento to getting important things done that obviously need to be done. We look forward to further conversations. Thanks again for coming!
Rick Luttmann, PHD, Professor Emeritus of Mathematics, on behalf of the SSU ERFA Board.
Annual Emeritus Faculty Recognition Dinner
The dinner will be at the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country:
- Thursday, February 25, 2016
- 6:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
- RSVP required by February 1st to the Senate Office.
The dinner is prix fixe $45. For details, including a list of the newly emeritus faculty be honored this year, go here
SEARCHING FOR A NEW PRESIDENT
- Thursday, Oct 1, 2015 in Schultz 3001.
- Noon - 12:15: Brown Bag Lunch
- 12:15 - 2:00: Panel
- 2:00 - 2:20: General Discussion
The following panelists will address important issues concerning the search for our next SSU President, followed by discussion with ERFA members.
- Richard Senghas, Chair of the Faculty and member of the Search Committee
- Carmen Works, Vice Chair of the Faculty and acting CFA Chapter President
- Elaine Newman, CFA Chapter President and elected facutly member of the Search Committee
- Ben Ford, elected facutly member of the Search Committee
- Andy Merrifield, past CFA Chapter President and past Chair of the Statewide Bargaining Team
These three questions are posed to the panelists to engage the SSU-ERFA membership in discussion and interaction:
- What do you see as the most significant issues which the new President will face now and over the next 5 to 10 years?
- What sort of management style should the campus community require in a President to ensure a cooperative and collegial governance environment?
- Given the campus' fragile budgetary situation and opaque accounting procedures, what qualities and experiences should a presidential candidate have in his/her background to prepare for dealing with the university's fiscal pressures in the future?
ERFA-SSU Presented Dr. David McCuan, SSU Professor, Political Science, on April 30, 2015. The event was held in the Alexander Valley Room in the Student Center. After a brown bag lunch at noon, Dr. McCuan spoke to us about national, state, and local politics.
Dr. McCuan is co-author of Initiative Centered Politics: The New Politics of Direct Democracy and is frequently interviewed by local and national news organizations regarding our state and local elections including the subject of ballot initiatives. He also addresses international and national politics, international security and terrorism, state and local politics, campaigns and elections, and political behavior. Several of his former students have served as staff members for California state legislators following graduation.
- The Academic Senate's Annual Emeritus Faculty Recognition Dinner was on Thursday, March 26, 2015. It was at Sally Tomatoes, on the former Agilent campus in Rohnert Park.
- ERFA Executive Committee Meeting Jan. 16, 2013 10a.m. – 12p.m. in the Sue Jameson Room
- Provost Andrew Rogerson March 6 FREE noon – 2p.m. Location TBD RSVP w/ Michelle Covington
- Emeritus Faculty Dinner Oct. 14 $45 6p.m. The French Garden, Sebastopol Info: www.sonoma.edu/senate/useful/emeritusdinner.html
- Estate Planning 101 October 3 FREE 11:45a.m. – 12:30p.m. Cooperage @ SSU Light refreshments RSVP required. Online: www.ssualumni.org or call: 707.664.2426