Prospective students must have the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree in any subject, completed no later than Fall 2016.
- A GPA of at least 2.75 (B-) over the last 60 units
- At least one 3-unit course on child development theory and milestones at a 3.0 (B) or better, such as EDEC 420 Child Development: Family, School, and Community (SSU) or CHLD 10 Child Growth and Development (SRJC)
- Regular access to high-speed internet service and webcam capability
- Applications will be screened for completion of pre-requisites
Applying to the Program
Please do NOT apply through CSU Mentor; your application will not reach us. Instead, applicants will need the following:
- Graduate Studies Application Form: fillable PDF
- Program Application Form: print out and fill in
- A $55 application fee (credit card, or check or money order made out to SSU) using this fillable PDF Fee Payment Form
- Transcripts showing completion of Bachelor's degree and required child development coursework. You may send unofficial transcripts with your application to speed processing, but we will need an official set for your student file.
Send all materials to:
SSU School of Extended and International Education
Attn: Academic Certificates
1801 E Cotati Ave
Rohnert Park, CA 94928-3609
The application deadline for Summer 2017 has been extended to April 30. All application and supporting materials must be received by that date in order for your application to be considered.
International applicants are encouraged to submit a complete application packet as early as possible in the admission cycle to allow for the additional time required to assess and process international documents and to initiate immigration paperwork.
We need an official, sealed copy of your transcript(s) to complete your application for your student file. We cannot process applications until all transcripts have been received.
Some colleges are moving to online transcript transmission. At this time, SSU is accepting electronic transcripts from only these sources:
- CSU Mentor
- Parchment (now includes Docufide and Naviance)
In order for your electronic transcript to be considered official by our Admissions staff, it must be sent to the default e-mail when you request an e-transcript from one of these sources. Please select Sonoma State as the recipient.
Please indicate on your Graduate Studies Application which colleges may be sending e-transcripts by checking the “E-transcript” box after the college attended information so we can better track them.
At this time, SSU is not issuing e-transcripts to other colleges.