Human Resource Management Certificate Program
Sonoma State is recognized by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP (SM) or SHRM-SCP (SM).
About The Program
Offered in Fall and Spring Semesters
The Human Resource Management Certificate Program teaches the skills and knowledge required to successfully manage the human resources in today's complex business environment. The program is a 12 week intensive course covering the main aspects of Human Resource Management. Rather than using only one instructor for the course, multiple instructors with significant professional expertise lead each of the weekly topics to impart professional knowledge and practical application of HRM concepts. The program is sponsored jointly by the Department of Business Administration and Extended and International Education at Sonoma State University. It is endorsed by the Personnel Association of Sonoma County (PASCO).
The program combines technical knowledge with skill building in the following areas:
- Management Practices
- Managing a Diverse Workforce
- The Legal Context
- Selection and Placement
- Training and Development
- Benefits Administration
- Conflict and Dispute Resolution
- Employee and Labor Relations
- Employee Development
- Health, Safety, and Security
The HR Certificate certificate program is held on 12 consecutive Tuesday evenings each semester from 6:45pm-9:45pm. The course fee is $790.
Please note that while there are no tests in this program, attendance is required as are weekly assigned readings . Students will also benefit from participation in the HRM online class forum on SSU's Moodle. For more information, please attend an information meeting or contact SSU Extended and International Education at 707-664-2394.
Who Should Attend
- Seasoned professionals who desire a systematic and comprehensive review of Human Resource Management
- HR practitioners preparing for the PHR, SPHR or SHRM certification exams
- Professionals whose primary training in Human Resource Management has been on-the-job training
- Early careerists who aspire to work in the Human Resource Management field
- Managers who need current, specialized knowledge
- Small business persons who do not have in-house professional Human Resource Management expertise
Certificate of Completion
In order to be awarded the Certificate of Completion, students must successfully complete all twelve modules (36 hours) of instruction. Make-up sessions are offered the following semester if students miss sessions
Preparation for Professional Examination
This program may be used to prepare professionals for HR certification exams, such as the Professional in Human Resources Certificate (PHR) and the Senior Professional in Human Resources Certificate. Course fees do not include the examination, nor is there an affiliation with any certification organization.
Enrollment is limited.