About the Course (click to expand)
The Professional Social Media Certificate provides participants with training and experience developing a social media campaign in their industry. This program combines hands-on experience and the opportunity to learn from others. The program will yield a certificate, and will increase intentionality, competency, confidence, and experience not attained through individual independent content exploration.
Prerequisites: Although no academic prerequisites are required to participate in the program, an advanced level of English for non-native English speakers is required. Additionally, participants should be comfortable using at least one social media channel (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, etc.). All participants should bring a laptop. A browser is required and Internet access is provided.
Syllabus: Click here to view the course syllabus.
- Leverage personal social media experience professionally
- Provide a consistent identity across channels
- Identify social media goals by determining what matters most
- Determine which social media channels work best as part of an overall strategy
- Use different channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Pinterest, Flickr, Vine, Instagram, blogs, Google+, Tumblr, industry specific, international channels, etc.) to address goals
- Explore the importance of video, images, memes, & infographics across channels, how to select and create effective images and video, determine bias and managing risk with use of intellectual property and shared material
- Use curation tools for finding, organizing and sharing content
- Understand the value of mobile
- Identify key performance indicators and build reports from them, analyze if an entire social media strategy is effective and demonstrate use of tools for measurement
- Segment and target audiences
- Use measurement, analytics and paid options (Facebook Ads, Sponsored Tweets, LinkedIn Premium)
- Develop a social media campaign
- Think strategically and adjust plans to changes in the community conversation
- Understand risk management, the importance of a social media policy, and how to adopt one
- Explain the benefits of building community online for your organization or company
- Integrate old and new media tools into an overall communications campaign and strategy
- Hands-on practice and experimentation with several popular social media platforms
- Hands-on use of monitoring tools and website analytics to listen and measure results
- Case studies of organizations using social media for their benefit
- Completion of a social media project