College Transition Program
As a newly admitted foreign student, you are invited to participate in a short course of study at Sonoma State University before you begin your university classes. This four-week program, administered by Sonoma State American Language Institute (SSALI), provides 80 hours of instruction and orientation to help you sharpen your skills and facilitate your transition to studying at an American university.
From our experience of advising newly arrived foreign students, we have discovered that many students experience feelings of confusion during the first few weeks of the semester. Many students are not yet acclimated to the speed and accent of American speech. Many feel anxious in class because they do not understand their professors' lectures or assignments, or lack the confidence to ask questions or participate in class discussions. Our intensive pre-university program is designed to reduce or eliminate such difficulties!
The following areas, typically of concern to new international students, will be covered:
- Teacher/student relations and expectations in and outside the classroom
- Orientation to campus facilities, student services, student culture
- Familiarization with American slang, idiomatic expressions, and pronunciation
- Dynamics of classroom communication--discussion, panel presentations, speeches
- Introduction to standard academic English composition format
- Community concerns such as banking, transportation, Department of Motor Vehicles
July 23 - August 16, 2012
$1060.00, due on or before July 23, 2012
Non-Refundable Application Fee
$50.00, due by June 18, 2012