If you would like to be admitted to an undergraduate degree program at Sonoma State University (SSU), but do not have the required TOEFL score (500 PBT /61 iBT or IELTS of 6.0), you can begin your studies at the Sonoma State American Language Institute (SSALI). To receive Conditional Admission, you should:
- Complete the SSALI application form and the SSU international application form.
- Send required documents to SSALI:
- official or consulate certified documents of secondary school and university records translated into English
- financial guarantee of adequate financial resources ($31,000)
- copy of your passport
- Clearly indicate on the SSALI application form that you are requesting conditional admission.
- Include a $100 application fee sor SSALI made out to Sonoma State University. (This can be paid by check, money order, or credit card).
- Include a separate $55 fee for SSU application and transcript evaluation made out to Sonoma State University. (This can be paid by check, money order, or credit card).
Your documents will be evaluated by the International Admissions Specialist at SSU. If you qualify in terms of your academic eligibility, SSU will give you Conditional Admission. At that time you will be sent:
- 1-20 - The notation on the I-20 will state, "Student will be eligible to pursue an undergraduate degree at Sonoma State University upon successful completion of intensive English with a TOEFL score of at least 500 PBT/61iBT." This indication, along with the other documents, should be sufficient for requesting a Student (F-1) visa.
- Letter of Academic Eligibility - This letter states that you will be eligible to begin academic studies at SSU when you have achieved the minimum TOEFL score of 500 PBT/61iBT--or 500 ITP (Institutional TOEFL) administered at SSU--or upon successful completion of the advanced level of SSALI.
Students pursuing a Masters Degree are required to attain a 550 PBT/79iBT on TOEFL; in addition, there may be additional requirements specific to the Graduate School and major department. Therefore, a letter of Academic Eligibility cannot usually be issued. It is necessary to apply directly to SSU and to follow their directives. Currently, the following Graduate programs are willing to consider conditional admission: Education; and Computer and Engineering Science.