If you would like to be admitted to an undergraduate degree program at Sonoma State University (SSU), but do not have the required TOEFL score (500 PBT /61 iBT or IELTS of 6.0), you can begin your studies at the Sonoma State American Language Institute (SSALI). To receive Conditional Admission, you should:
- $125 non-refundable application fee for SSALI
- $55 non-refundable SSU conditional admission application fee
Other Required Documents
After submitting your application, you must send the following documents by mail to the address below (we do NOT accept scanned or emailed documents):
- proof of high school graduation and official transcripts in English
- a copy of page 1 of your passport
- an original official income statement or original bank statement verifying availability of funds, minimum $10,000 per semester ($3000 for 5-week summer session)
Mail your application materials to:
Sonoma State American Language Institute
Attn: Debra Crow
1801 East Cotati Avenue
Rohnert Park, CA 94928-3609 USA
Your documents will be evaluated by the International Admissions Specialist at SSU. If you qualify in terms of your academic eligibility, SSU will give you Conditional Admission. At that time you will be sent:
- 1-20 - The notation on the I-20 will state, "Student will be eligible to pursue an undergraduate degree at Sonoma State University upon successful completion of intensive English with a TOEFL score of at least 500 PBT/61iBT." This indication, along with the other documents, should be sufficient for requesting a Student (F-1) visa.
- Letter of Academic Eligibility - This letter states that you will be eligible to begin academic studies at SSU when you have achieved the minimum TOEFL score of 500 PBT/61iBT--or upon successful completion of the advanced level of SSALI.
Students pursuing a Master's Degree are required to attain a 80iBT on TOEFL; in addition, there may be additional requirements specific to the Graduate School and major department. Therefore, a letter of Academic Eligibility cannot usually be issued. It is necessary to apply directly to SSU and to follow their directives. Currently, the following Graduate programs are willing to consider conditional admission: Education; and Computer and Engineering Science.