Special Circumstances Request for Preliminary Review
Before submitting a Special Circumstances Request for Preliminary Review form to our office, you must have completed the appropriate Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with SSU’s school code of 001156.
You must use a Special Circumstances Request for Preliminary Review form to initiate consideration of a special circumstance.
Special circumstances are significant changes in your family’s financial circumstances that may affect the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculated on the FAFSA.
Typically, consideration is limited to the following situations:
- Death of a parent or spouse after the FAFSA was filed, or separation/divorce after the FAFSA was filed
- Involuntary job loss or job change, retirement, or loss of a financial benefit
- Dependent student married after the FAFSA was filed (and before August 1 of the academic year)
When projected income is used to adjust the EFC, only ONE special circumstance can be approved while the student is attending SSU. The adjusted EFC will be used to evaluate eligibility for federal financial aid, such as the Pell Grant program and the Subsidized Direct Loan program.
You will be notified whether or not your special circumstance is eligible for further consideration.
Due to heavy workload in the Spring and Summer, final processing of eligible requests occurs according to this schedule:
- For newly admitted freshmen and transfers: After July 1
- For credential students beginning their student teaching: After August 1
- For continuing SSU students: After October 1
Click on the form name to download. Page MAY BE BLANK until the form is completely downloaded into your Adobe Acrobat Readerallow up to 30 seconds for download time. Many of our downloadable forms contain fillable fields in which you can use a keyboard or accessible technology to enter your responses. If you need an accessible version of a form that is not yet available, please contact the Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Make sure you download the correct form for the appropriate financial aid year. The semesters that correspond to each financial aid award year are listed above the link.