Conflict of Interest
The Political Reform Act of 1974 requires the California State University (CSU), as an agency, to adopt and communicate Conflict of Interest (COI) codes. The Act contains a general prohibition against conflicts of interest. Conflict of Interest law seeks to minimize the extent to which public employees pursue their own financial interests at the expense of the public interest. Under the Act, no CSU employee shall make, participate in making, or attempt to use his or her official position to influence a University decision in which he or she has a financial interest. University employees cannot make, participate in making, or attempt to use their official position to influence a CSU decision in which they have a financial interest. An employee is deemed to have personal financial interest in a decision if that decision will have a material financial effect on themselves, a member of their immediate family, or on any one of the five kinds of economic interest as defined in the Political Reform Act of 1974.
The CSU Conflict of Interest Code requires employees in designated positions to file a Statement of Economic Interests Form 700 (pdf) upon assuming office and on an annual basis. Employees are required to complete ethics training within 6 months of assuming office and every two years thereafter.
New employees in designated positions or current employees newly appointed to designated positions will be notified by the Human Resoures department about their requirement to file and take the training. Designated positions and disclosure categories can be found in Attachments A and B of Coded Memorandum 2015-06.
If you have any questions about any action that you believe may constitute a conflict of interest, please contact the HR Coordinator at 707.664.2212 or Erin Taylor via email. For more information on complying with the CSU Conflict of Interest regulations, visit the following links on the CSU Conflict of Interest Policies and Programs web site.
Conflict of Interest Filing Process
- HR 2015-06 2015 Annual Filing
Update - Designated Positions Pending FPPC Approval - Interim Disclosure
Designation of Filing Officers
Employment and Conflicts of Interest and Incompatible Activities
Gifts - FPPC Revised Regulation Concerning Gifts to an Agency
Principal Investigators - Conflict of Interest Policy Update
Public Contract Code Restrictions for CSU Employees
Forms and Publications
- Conflict of Interest Handbook (Prepared by the Office of General Counsel)
- Form 700 Statement of Economic Interests (2014/2015)
- Form 700 Disclosure - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (Rev. 1/2015)
- Form 700 Reference Pamphlet (2014/2015)
- Form 700-U Statement of Economic Interests for Principal Investigators (2014/2015)
- Limitations and Restrictions on Gifts, Honoraria, Travel and Loans (Rev. 1/2015)
- Gift Disclosure - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Please refer to Form 700 Disclosure FAQ
- Form 804 - Agency Report of New Positions (Use of form is optional)
- Form 805 - Agency Report of Consultants (Use of form is optional)