The main goal of the SSU Tutorial program is to help students succeed in their SSU courses. Peer tutors are trained to enable students in developing their own potential as independent learners. Our intent is to support students in confronting their continuous academic challeges. The Tutorial Center offers two types of tutoring assistance.
- One-on-one tutoring in math, sciences, languages and other subjects.
- SI Study Groups (supplemental instruction) for some "high volume" scientific-oriented courses.
Overview: Tutoring is provided by peer tutors who have training and expertise in specific disciplines. An SSU student can sign up for up to two tutoring sessions per subject per week. Each session lasts 50 minutes. Subjects available for tutoring are based on the skills of qualified tutors. Services are free of charge. The Tutorial Center is open Monday - Friday from 9 am to 5 pm.
Subject Disciplines include: mathematics, biology, physics, chemistry, German, Spanish, French, business/economics, philosophy, and computer science. Assistance in English composition and writing is abailable in the Writing Lab on campus. Below is a brief listing of some the courses we provide tutoring for.
How to Sign Up: Students interested in receiving tutoring must first fill out a Tutoring Intake form (each semester) at the Tutorial Center located in Salazar 1061 before requesting a tutor. Once signed up, the student can then check the Master Tutor Schedule at the Reception Desk to Select a tutor and appointment time.
- Appointments need to be made 24 hours in advance.
- Please arrive five minutes prior to your appointment.
SI Study Groups
Supplemental Instruction Study Groups provide weekly group sessions for students enrolled in specific SSU "parent" courses that are often GE science and math courses including chemistry, biology, statistics, and calculus. They are facilitated by trained upper class students.
How it Works:
- Students attend the parent course and then can attend one or both of two, one-hour discussion and review session each week.
- Students need to sign up for the SI Study Groups at the Tutorial Center.
- Participants can earn one unit of academic credit by registering in UNIV 103S and completing attendance and participation requirements.
Other Tutoring Services
Below is a link to a number of off-campus tutoring providers that can be found throught Sonoma county area who specialize in various subjects and age groups.