Mathematics and Statistics Department Mission Statement
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Sonoma State University
serves all students interested in mathematics and its applications. These include:
- students majoring in mathematics or statistics in order to pursue advanced
study, obtain a career in teaching or in the private sector, or achieve
- students from majors outside of mathematics and statistics
who need to acquire mathematical skills in order to be successful in their
- students seeking opportunities, through general education
mathematics courses, to investigate the complexity and diversity of human
experience while learning to communicate clearly and to think independently,
critically, and creatively, with the goal of participating as informed and
ethical citizens of the world; and
- students requiring remediation in mathematics.
For each of these groups, the Department promotes excellence
in the teaching and learning of mathematics, and encourages inquiry, application, and an appreciation of the intrinsic beauty of mathematics.
To advance its mission, the Department of Mathematics:
- is a community that values mathematics and its applications;
- provides a foundation for critical thinking by developing
skills in logic and problem solving;
- offers a broad selection of courses that can be tailored
to diverse student needs; and
- develops close mentoring relationships among faculty
and students through small classes, student-faculty research projects, and
a drop-in study lab staffed by mathematics faculty.