Go to the Administration block and click on "Groups". There are two columns: one for "Groups" and one for group members. To begin click the "Create group" and name and describe it.
- Enrolment key: students must type in a password to enter the group
- New picture: you can set a particular picture to represent the group
- Hide picture: you can hide the group's image
Click "Save changes" button to return to the groups menu. Click the "Add/Remove Users" button to bring up a list of students. Select the students you want and click the "Add" button.
This will automatically assign students to different groups.
Select members from role
specify what kind of participant will be placed into groups.
- Specify (how the groups are assigned): "Number of groups" or "Members of group"; Enter this number in the "Group/member count" box.
- Naming scheme: set the names of each group by entering it here .
- You can letter the groups by adding an "@" sign at the end of the group name. "Group @" will yield names "Group A", "Group B", "Group C", etc.
- You can number them by adding an "#". "Group #" will yield names "Group 1", "Group 2", "Group 3", etc
Hitting the "Show Advanced" button will give you more options.
- Prevent last small group: prevents single students being put into their own groups
- \Allocate members: set how Moodle should auto-create the groups: Randomly; Alphabetically by first name; alpha by last name, alpha by ID number
Hit the "Preview" button and the students will be auto-added to groups.