Jazz Core Classes
Jazz Performance Majors complete a thorough battery of core classes to complete their degree:
- Four levels concentrating on voice-leading, chord-scale applications and advanced rhythmic techniques for improvising on standards, modal and free-form jazz compositions.
- Techniques for small-group and large ensemble arranging.
- Writing in a wide variety of styles.
- Jazz Piano:
- Techniques for solo and ensemble piano performance – required of all majors.
- Jazz History:
- Study of jazz from its origins to the present, and its relationship to social and cultural movements.