2012 Common Core Support for Teacher Leaders, Schools and Districts
- Writing workshop: Integrating writing into your discipline.
- How to integrate writing into every aspect of your history lesson: Including: prewriting, developing effective drafts, multiple assessments with concise rubrics.
- Primary Documents: Identifying Resources and Deconstructing Primary
- Students learn to "decipher" historical events and appreciate the rhetoric of historic language. Strategies to use rich text, key vocabulary, paraphrasing techniques that contextualize the document.
- Reading Skills in History: Text analysis (reading skills) and
- Supporting students as readers of history by using successful reading techniques that build all students language acquisition skills.
- ELL achievement: Addressing the needs of English learners in History
- Instructional, Procedural and Verbal scaffolding. Writing and reading skills for all students. Documenting material for all Learning Levels.
- Using Technology to support writing: Implementing online forums,
writing daily input for class, and other activities.
- Assessing and improving technology use in your classroom. Integration of technology on a daily basis with Websites and Wikis. What you can do with one laptop and a TV screen! to What you can do with a classroom of ipads!
- Beyond the Textbook: Identifying and Integrating Multiple Perspectives
- Interacting with Text. Ways to challenge all students to use the textbook as a resource to build literacy. There is good stuff in those tomes- use it well!!
- Using Literature in History with many purposes:
- Strategies for English Language Learners- teaching history and literature together. English teachers would love to hear how we use excerpts, sonnets, and other novels to contextualize our discipline. Teachers for years have been teaching the two subjects seamlessly. How can a short piece such as: Harvest of the Gypsies, cover the dust bowl migration better than some facts from the textbook!
Contact: Miriam Hutchins at email@example.com. 707-664-2409