He is King of the World...of Young Wine Sommeliers

ian_cauble.jpgRelaxing on his hotel balcony in Santorini, Greece, Ian Cauble alerted his friends and relatives to the good news via Facebook, "I won the World Championship."

After an intense 8 hour competition in Greece, Ian was named Top Young Sommelier of the World by the Confrérie de la Chaîne des Rôtisseurs, the world's oldest gastronomic society based in Paris, France.

I am honored to bring the world title home to the United States," he said.

"Ian Cauble is an incredibly talented sommelier," said Steven Holt, Director of Public Relations for The Ritz-Carlton at Half Moon Bay where Ian currently works as head sommelier.

A review of Ian's accomplishment in only 10 years after graduating from SSU are quite astounding. In June of this year he was awarded Top Sommelier of the Western United States by the Guild of Sommeliers, and in 2008 he was voted one of the "Best New Sommeliers" in the U.S. by Wine and Spirits magazine.

"It was my wine classes at Sonoma State University that first got me interested in wine," says Ian. "I was especially hooked when I went on SSU's wine class trip to Chile."

An International Business major at SSU with an emphasis in Wine Business and Spanish, Cauble took his skills upon graduation to Portugal where he worked for two euros an hour at Royal Oporto in the Douro Valley, the country's oldest port house.

Then, after harvest, he travelled for thirteen months throughout Europe, North Africa and India, exploring the wines and cuisines of these regions

A native Californian, Cauble then returned to the United States with his passion for food and wine even stronger. So he obtained a job in the restaurant industry, working at some of the top wine destinations in the U.S., including: Aubergine and Le Quai restaurants of Newport Beach; Fleur de Lys of Las Vegas; as well as the restaurants of Jardiniere and Spruce in San Francisco.

For the last several years he has enjoyed being Head Sommelier at the Ritz-Carlton in Half-Moon Bay.

When asked about his future plans, Cauble commented, "Right now I'm focused on passing the blind tasting portion of the Master Sommelier Exam. It is about 5 months away, so I am going to try to relax for a few months and enjoy life before gearing up for the examination."

"I've been training very hard for a long time. It's time to enjoy wine for a bitwithout studying books or analyzing it. After passing the Master Sommelier Exam I will eventually begin the Master of Wine program, but there is no rush. I love food and wine and there is still so much to learn about this ever changing subject."

Subscribe to SSU NewsCenter