Recent Entries in Achievements
October 1, 2015 2:48 PM
August 21, 2015 4:09 PM
"It's a tremendous honor to be recognized by peers, colleagues, and associates," said Thach. "I spent years as an executive at Fortune 500 companies and there's no greater validation than doing right by my students. They put forward a high level of effort and excellence each day, and I share this award with them."
May 11, 2015 8:46 AM
Sonoma State University biology master's student Michelle Ferraro took home second place (and a $250 prize) in the graduate division for biological sciences at the 29th annual CSU Student Research Competition, held May 1-2 at CSU San Bernardino, for her presentation titled "Evaluating Optimal Foraging Theory in a Free-Roaming Marine Predator."
The competition featured over 250 participants from all 23 CSU campuses. Undergraduate and graduate students competed in separate divisions by discipline. Ferraro is mentored by biology professor Dan Crocker.
May 4, 2015 9:34 AM
Provost Andrew Rogerson presented the awards at Sonoma State's University Research Symposium on April 15. "When students collaborate with faculty on research, they learn first-hand how experts solve practical problems. Their teachers become role models, mentors and guides for continuous lifelong learning," he said. "This is the classic teacher-scholar model that we value so highly at Sonoma State. Both Lynn Cominsky and Suzanne Rivoire exemplify this ideal and are well deserving of recognition."
April 23, 2015 8:31 AM
Espino-Valenciano, a psychology major at Sonoma State, is a volunteer and consultant with the North Bay Immigrant Youth Union where she has advocated for the implementation of the Trust Act and Assembly Bill 60, which requires driver's licenses to be issued to undocumented individuals in California. She has also led community forums as resources for immigrants applying for driver's licenses.
April 7, 2015 3:51 PM
The students, led by political science professor Cynthia Boaz, participated in the program with more than 4,000 students from 400 universities across the globe. This year, Sonoma State represented Nigeria, which presented a variety of difficulties because of the nation's controversial politics and ongoing national issues. The team handled it well, earning Sonoma State's 10th award in the past five years.
February 20, 2015 2:41 PM
After more than 20 years of research, Sonoma State University geology professor David Bero has published detailed maps of Ring Mountain and the Tiburon Peninsula. He presented these new maps as the featured speaker of the SSU Geology Club's lecture series on February 19.
Geologists around the world are known for their love of the outdoors, and Bero, who has been lecturing at Sonoma State for the past eight years, is no exception. He has spent nearly every weekend during the past 20 years hiking the trails and enjoying the sweeping vistas of his native Marin County. But unlike day hikers gazing at the panoramic ocean views, Bero's focus is on the rocks beneath him.
January 16, 2015 3:33 PM
"Call of the Vine: Exploring 10 famous vineyards of Napa and Sonoma" took the title for the Women and Wine Book category in the United States and will via for the title of best in the world at the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards in Yantai, China in June.
"This award feels different than the others," says Thach."It's not dry business text, it's a story," she says, admitting that this award came as a surprise. "This book is more personal. I put a lot of heart and soul into it."
January 12, 2015 4:27 PM
Four undergraduate SSU students were honored at a California State University biotechnology symposium in Santa Clara this week for their work on a new device to help those suffering with Parkinson's Disease.
The team presented a prototype for what they call "PD Analytics," a low-cost device that can quantify tremors associated with Parkinson's Disease. The project aims to monitor and record the tremors of an individual Parkinson's Disease sufferer to allow for adjustment of medication accordingly in real time. To do this, they've constructed a glove capable of measuring intensity and frequency of tremors--the idea being that it can be emailed to a doctor right away. Though other universities are working on similar projects, what sets SSU's apart is its simplicity and low cost.
January 8, 2015 10:15 AM
SSU English professor Gillian Conoley continues to impress her peers, the latest instance coming from "Peace," a volume listed as one of the top standout poetry collections of 2014 by the Academy of American Poets.
This follows the 2013 honor of being included in W.W. Norton's Postmodern American Poetry Anthology (2nd edition) that celebrated the works of renowned poets Allen Ginsberg, Robert Creeley, Denise Levertov, Amira Baraka, Charles Olson, and Barbara Guest.
December 8, 2014 2:58 PM
October 24, 2014 3:18 PM
She is one of six women in the nation selected for their devotion to the advancement of women in aerospace and for their significant contributions to the field.
Cominsky was nominated by Dr. Hashima Hasan of the NASA headquarters and was chosen for her "excellent leadership and sustained dedication to aerospace education and for her tenacious advocacy for girls and young women in aerospace."
Cominsky will be honored along with other award recipients in Arlington, VA at the Ritz Carton Pentagon City Hotel at a reception dinner and ceremony on Oct. 29.
All Entries in Achievements
- Oct 1 2015 SSU Professor Releases New Civil Rights Journal
- Aug 21 2015 Wine Business Professor Liz Thach Honored with Excellence in Education Award
- May 11 2015 Biology Student Earns Second Place in CSU Research Competition
- May 4 2015 Sonoma State Professors Receive Excellence in Scholarship Awards
- Apr 23 2015 Student Activist Honored by ACLU
- Apr 7 2015 Model United Nations Wins 10th Award in Five Years
- Feb 20 2015 Geology Professor Publishes Definitive Geologic Maps of Marin County
- Jan 16 2015 SSU Professor Earns Third Gourmand Book Award
- Jan 12 2015 Student Group Recognized at Biotech Conference for Parkinson's Glove
- Jan 8 2015 SSU English Professor's Poetry Named Standout Collection for 2014
- Dec 8 2014 STEM Students Honored by LSAMP
- Oct 24 2014 Cominsky Honored with Women in Aerospace Award
- Sep 12 2014 Autism Support Group Honored for Dedicated Service to Children, Families
- Sep 12 2014 GIOVANNI LAMANNA: "Music is my way to touch the souls of others"
- Aug 25 2014 Bloom Wins Award for Work on Women and Crime
- May 12 2014 Guzmán Earns Mario Savio Student Activist Award From ACLU
- May 6 2014 Sociology Senior Wins CSU Student Research Competition for Black Student Experience at SSU
- May 6 2014 Estes Teaching In Germany About American Civil Rights Movement
- May 6 2014 Robert Train Receives Mayers Fellowship for "Inventing Spanish in Multilingual California"
- May 1 2014 CANDEL Alumni Present Research at Northern California Educational Leadership Forum
- May 1 2014 SSU Delegation Wins International Model UN Awards for Fourth Straight Year
- Apr 23 2014 Tom Jacobsen Named To Prestigious College of Certified Planner Fellows
- Apr 16 2014 Smith Studies High Elevation Tectonics with NSF Grant
- Jan 16 2014 Paul Draper Named First Director of Sustainability at SSU
- Dec 10 2013 Sonoma State University Student Wins Trip to French Wine Country
- Dec 3 2013 Pricewaterhouse Coopers Challenge comes to Sonoma State University
- Nov 5 2013 SSU Students Chosen for MESA Leadership Conference
- Nov 4 2013 "The Good Company" Continues to Tell the Stories of Sustainable Businesses
- Nov 4 2013 Trick or Treat, Bollywood style: 100 Years of Indian Cinema
- Nov 4 2013 Switky Tells Dramatic Story of Top Secret WWII Mission
- Nov 4 2013 Ezra Explores Economic Aspects of the Civil Rights Era
- Sep 13 2013 John Michael Vincent Coralde: Dreams of Helping His Native Land
- Aug 22 2013 Brantley Bryant Receives SR Chamber's Excellence in Education Award
- May 3 2013 Men's Lacrosse Team Appears Headed for Nationals
- May 2 2013 Wasp on Media Panel
- May 2 2013 Sullins Discusses Moral Arguments for Robotic Weapons Arms Control
- May 2 2013 Ajay Gehlawat Explores Multiple Controversies of "Slumdog" Phenomeon
- May 2 2013 Matt Benney Honored for Educational Equity Contributions
- May 2 2013 Robert Girling Recognized for Business Simulation Expertise
- May 2 2013 McCuan Serves on Election Reform Panel with Congressmen Also on HUFFPO LIVE! Discussing Gun Control Through the Ballot Box
- May 2 2013 An Eye on the Pond Turtle Headstart Project
- May 2 2013 STAR Wins Two National Journalism Awards
- May 1 2013 Gillian Conoley Joins Renowned Poets in Norton's Postmodern American Poetry Anthology
- Apr 26 2013 Jazz Studies Student Publishes 40-Something Love Story
- Mar 28 2013 K-9 Units, White-collar Crimes, and National Drug Policies Explored by CCJS Faculty, Students at WSC Conference
- Mar 26 2013 Rehearsals, Master Classes Pay off as Dance Students, Faculty Present Original Works at ACDFA Gala
- Mar 26 2013 SSU's Model United Nations Delegates Garner Four Awards at National Conference
- Mar 22 2013 Wide-ranging Look at SSU Faculty Research On Display at March 27 Expo
- Mar 21 2013 Adrian Praetzellis Appointed to State Historical Resources Commission
- Mar 21 2013 English Professor Gillian Conoley Judge of Omnidawn Poetry Chapbook Contest
- Mar 21 2013 History Professor Stephen Bittner Researching History of Russian Winemaking Through Two Fellowships
- Mar 7 2013 Dr. Carlos Ayala Named Dean of the SSU School of Education
- Mar 5 2013 Another Seawolf Takes the Miss Sonoma County Crown
- Feb 22 2013 Roxana Leiva Exposes Salvadoran Immigrant Experiences with Exhibition 'Mourning and Scars: 20 Years After the War'
- Feb 22 2013 Assistant Professor Megan Taylor Named 2013 STaR Fellow
- Dec 5 2012 Promises Kept. SSU Alum Makes Veterans Day Donation to American Vets.
- Dec 5 2012 Brantley Bryant's New Essay Tells Why the Middle Ages Still Resonate Today
- Dec 5 2012 Comcast Interviews NewsMakers at SSU
- Dec 4 2012 Media Spotlight, Semester at Sea for SSU Professors
- Nov 19 2012 McNair Scholars - One Step at a Time Toward Grad School
- Nov 14 2012 Math Professor Jean Bee Chan Recognized for Meritorious Service
- Nov 14 2012 Cushman Honored with International Journal Editorship
- Oct 31 2012 Sonoma State Student Wins San Francisco Wine Tasting Competition
- Oct 12 2012 SSU Jazz Alums Get Five Stars in Downbeat Review
- Sep 12 2012 Without a Wetsuit - Math Professor Sam Brannen Versus the Icy Waters