The NWIC maintains two types of Inventory.
1. Archaeology Inventory(Access Restricted)
Archaeological resources are nonrenewable and easily damaged—their legal significance or scientific, ethno-cultural, and aesthetic values can be impaired by disturbance. Access to this information is restricted, therefore, to prevent vandalism and artifact hunting, and to protect landowners from trespass. Those granted access to the archaeological archives of the Information Center (see access policy in Rules of Operation Manual) sign an agreement of confidentiality whereby they agree to keep site content and location information confidential by not disclosing it to unauthorized individuals or including it in publicly-distributed documents. (California Government Section Code 6254.10 exempts archaeological sites from the California Public Records Act requiring that public records be open to public inspection.)
Access to Resource Site Records and Study Reports is restricted to these individuals under the following conditions:
- Historical Resources Consultants, upon first contact, must fill out a Statement of Qualifications For Access to Chris Confidential Information and provide a current résumé to be kept on file at the NWIC. They must agree to share the results of their study with the NWIC. Consultants working on paid projects are charged an hourly fee for access to all historical resources data, whether research is conducted in person or by NWIC staff. Facility Access by consultants is provided by scheduled appointments or on a Drop in basis. Please review the Access Schedule.
- Landowners who wish to know about archaeological sites (this is provided only for sites on your property) must confirm their request in writing along with proof of ownership (such as a deed or current tax statement which clearly links their name with an Assessor’s Parcel Map depicting property boundaries), and a Vicinity Map depicting the parcel in a larger context. If the landowner elects to have a representative, in addition to the above, that person must also retain a letter from the landowner authorizing the release of information to said representative. Copy and copy time fees may apply.
- Scholars should bring confirmation of their affiliation such as a résumé or student identification card, and if applicable, a letter from the supervising professor describing the project on which they are working. Access is considered scholarly if the individual is working on an unpaid project, such as a term paper, a graduate document, or a professional presentation. In general there is no fee when research is conducted in person (other fees apply). There is a fee, however, if research is conducted by NWIC staff.
2. Built Environment(Access Unrestricted)
The NWIC’s built environment library is currently unrestricted. The public is encouraged to make use of the NWIC’s extensive built environment database in order to learn more about the history of their community. In general, there is no charge for this research (other fees apply). Historical Resources Consultants, working on paid projects, however are charged an hourly fee, whether research is conducted in person or by NWIC staff.
The NWIC’s Continued Commitment to the Digital Transition
The Northwest Information Center (NWIC) has developed and maintains a Geographic Information System for the inventory of Resources and Reports for portions of our service area. In addition to the mapped locations of the Resources and Reports in a GIS, the associated documents for these Resources and Reports have been converted to PDF files.
As of June 30, 2015, we offer the following geographic areas in electronic format (for more info on the status of electronic data at other ICs, see the list at OHP's website:
Entire Counties Available in GIS only:
- Alameda (ALA)
- Colusa-RESOURCES ONLY (COL)
- Contra Costa (CCO)
- Marin (MRN)
- San Benito-RESOURCES ONLY (SBN)
- San Francisco (SFR)
- San Mateo (SMA)
- Santa Clara County-RESOURCES ONLY (SCL)
- Solano (SOL)
- Sonoma-RESOURCES ONLY (SON)
- Yolo-RESOURCES ONLY (YOL)
Quads Available in GIS only:
- Chittenden (SCL Santa Clara County) -both Reports and Resources
- Gilroy (SCL Santa Clara County) -both Reports and Resources
- Morgan Hill (SCL Santa Clara County) -both Reports and Resources
- Mountain View (SCL Santa Clara County) -both Reports and Resources
- Milpitas (SCL Santa Clara County) -both Reports and Resources
- Palo Alto (SCL Santa Clara County) -both Reports and Resources
- San Jose West (SCL Santa Clara County) -both Reports and Resources
- San Jose East (SCL Santa Clara County) -both Reports and Resources