The annual benefits Open Enrollment period for CSU employees is September 10, 2012, through October 5, 2012. The effective date for all changes made during Open Enrollment will be January 1, 2013.
During the open enrollment period, eligible employees may:
- Enroll in or change health or dental plans;
- Add or remove spouse, domestic partner or eligible dependents to health and/or dental plan;
- Elect or cancel FlexCash. If you have other non-CSU medical and/or dental coverage, you may elect the FlexCash Plan which pays you cash in lieu of CSU coverage;
- Elect participation or re-enroll in the Health Care Reimbursement Account (HCRA) or the Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA). If you are participating in 2012, and want to continue participation in 2013, you must re-enroll during open enrollment.
2013 Health Program Highlights
- CalPERS Health Plan Changes for 2013 -
CalPERS negotiates with health plan carriers to offer robust PPO and HMO
health plans while balancing the increase in health care costs. For 2013, CalPERS will continue offering
the same menu of plans with expanded access in two plan’s service areas. The specific plan details and
change in service areas can be viewed on the CalPERS website at www.calpers.ca.gov or by selecting the following: open enrollment. The premiums for health plans will be adjusted for 2013 to reflect the change in health care costs. Through the Tax Advantage Premium Plan (TAPP), health premiums are deducted on a pre-tax basis.
With a Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA and/or Health
Care Reimbursement Account (HCRA) you set aside a portion of your pay on a pre-tax basis to reimburse yourself for eligible expenses. If you are currently enrolled in the (DCRA) and/or (HCRA), and wish to continue participation in the plan(s), you are required to re-enroll annually during open enrollment.
For 2013, the maximum annual contribution for HCRA is $2,500 and remains at $5,000 for DCRA.
Flexible Spending Account Debit Card for HCRA Enrollees - The optional “FSA Benny Card” issued by ASIFlex, allows enrollees to pay for out-of-pocket medical expenses (i.e., health, dental, vision, etc.) as payment at Health Care Providers and at certain retail locations. For more information about the debit card, please visit the CSU Systemwide Benefits Portal at: www.calstate.edu/hr/benefitsportal/.
Beginning in 2013, if you wish to appeal a rejected HCRA and/or DCRA claim reimbursement, it must be filed within 60 days from the date the rejection was communicated by ASIFlex.
Vision Plan - As a reminder, you and your eligible dependents are automatically enrolled in the VSP vision plan, which is currently fully paid by CSU. Eye care is an important component of an individual’s overall health and well-being. Make sure you and your family members take advantage of the benefits provided by the plan.
- CalPERS Virtual Health Fair - This year CalPERS is introducing a new web-based “virtual health fair” for open enrollment. The webinar will be posted soon and will provide you and your dependents with key information presented by representatives from each of the CalPERS health plans. CalPERS will post the pre-recorded webinar on its website beginning September 1, 2012.
- Dependent Social Security Number Required - If you elect coverage for one of your dependents during open enrollment, you will be required to provide a valid Social Security Number for that dependent. If a valid Social Security Number is not provided, your enrollment request will not be processed.
- Voluntary Benefits - The following voluntary benefits are offered through payroll deductions:
Plan Vendor Auto and Home Insurance 866-680-5142 California Casualty Critical Illness Plan 800-433-3036 Aflac MetLaw Legal Plan 800-438-6388 Hyatt Legal Plan, Inc. Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance 800-378-5745 The Standard Voluntary Life Insurance 800-378-5745 The Standard Voluntary Long Term Disability 800-378-5745 The Standard
- Additional information regarding these voluntary benefit plans and how to enroll can be found on the CSU Systemwide Benefits Portal at: www.calstate.edu/hr/benefitsportal/. Please note that all of the above voluntary benefit plans, with the exception of the MetLaw Legal plan, allow employees to enroll throughout the year. Rates for The Standard Voluntary plans are listed in the 2013 Voluntary Standard Rates sheet.
- MetLaw Legal Plan - This is your annual opportunity to enroll in the MetLaw Legal Plan for a low monthly premium of $19.70. The MetLaw Legal Plan offered by Hyatt Legal Plans, Inc., provides representation for many personal legal services for employees and their eligible dependents. Employees that do not enroll in the plan during open enrollment, will not have another opportunity to enroll in the plan until next year’s open enrollment period.
- CSU Dental Program - There are no benefit changes. Dental premiums will continue to be fully paid by the CSU for the 2013 plan year.
To make an Open Enrollment change, please:
- Complete the Benefits Enrollment Information Worksheet. All forms are due in the Payroll and Benefits Office by Friday, October 5, 2012.
- Sign Enrollment forms. The Payroll and Benefits Office will generate additional documents in order to process your open enrollment change. We will contact you when the documents are ready for signature.
- Your benefits will not change until January 1, 2013.
- CalPERS Open Enrollment News
- 2013 CalPERS Health Benefits Program Basic Plan Rates
- To enroll in the Health Care Reimbursement Account (HCRA)and/or Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA), please complete the updated 2013 HCRA/DCRA Enrollment Form.
- FSA Debit Card - FAQ
- CSU Systemwide Benefits Portal
If there is a discrepancy between this information and the official plan documents and contracts, the official documents will always govern.