Bad Penny Study Guide
1. Is the world of the play real? What parallels or connections can be made to our own reality? What aspects of the play seem more surreal, or removed from reality?
2. What character archetypes or mythological symbols can be found in Bad Penny? How do they translate into a modern setting?
3. Who is the Boatman? Is he real? Where does the Boatman take the First Man?
4. Bad Penny is a site-specific play. How does the performance space affect your theatrical experience? Would the play be different if it were performed in a theatre? Would it be more or less effective?
5. The concept of this year’s theatre season is Water Works. How does Bad Penny fit with that theme? What images and themes do you see in this play that relate to the concept of water and our relationship with it?