THE SEANCE, by Dylan Waite
Sonoma State University Spring 2013
by Celine Delcayre, SSU Theatre Arts Major; The Seance Dramaturg
Table of Contents
- Synopsis by Celine Delcayre
A brief description of The Séance.
- Discussion Questions
by Celine Delcayre
For instructors to explore with their students after viewing the performance.
- Interview with the Playwright by Celine Delcayre
An interview with Séance playwright, Dylan Waite.
- Lost in the Valley of Excess by John Gibler
The Séance is set in the middle of a horrific drought in Fresno, California. This article talks about the relationship between water and the workers and people of California’s Central Valley
- The Big Thirst by Elizabeth Schilling
A look at some of the larger management water problems in California.
- “Fresno neighbors had a long history of disputes leading up to a murder-suicide”from Fresno Bee
The Séance explores how extreme behavior and social tension can erupt when water becomes scarce. Tensions run high in Fresno…is this an isolated incident, or the symptom of a bigger problem?
- “Do hairworms manipulate the water seeking behaviour of their terrestrial host”? By multiple authors
Rachel, a pivotal character in The Séance, tells the audience about unusual parasites that can drive their hosts to drown themselves. This study looks at a particular parasite, the hairworm or Gordian worm, and the strange ways in which it manipulates its host.