MPA Application Process and Requirements
The application deadline for Fall semester is March 30 of the same year.
The application deadline for Spring semester is October 30 of the previous year.
The following materials should be returned to the MPA Coordinator in the Political Science Department.
- CSU/SSU Admissions Application
- Copy of CSU/SSU Admissions Application
- Please print a copy to send to the MPA Coordinator to confirm your application was received by the University and to avoid delays.
- This application must include your personal statement (one page recommended).
- Please send all transcripts, including SSU transcripts. This is a requirement of the department as well as the CSU/SSU Admissions Application.
- Letters of reference should be sealed and sent directly from source.
Sonoma State University
Political Science Dept./MPA Coord.
1801 E. Cotati Avenue, STEV 2070
Rohnert Park, CA 94928
Please be sure to read the MPA Frequently Asked Questions for additional information.
- A bachelor’s degree with a major from an accredited college or university with a grade point average of at least 3.00 for the last 60 units of college-level work attempted.
- To ensure adequate background, a candidate for admission should have experience or course preparation in the following areas:
- State and local government
- Federalism and intergovernmental relations
- Influences on domestic policy making
- Recommended: One year experience working in a nonprofit organization or course in introduction to nonprofit organizations (example through Sonoma County Volunteer Center)
Candidates without such experience or course preparation can be admitted to the program but must make up deficiencies during the first three semesters of study. Prerequisites do not count toward the 40-unit degree. Acceptability of experience or previous course work as prerequisites will be determined in consultation with the program’s graduate coordinator.
- Completion of both University and departmental applications. Included in the departmental application are three letters of reference. Only three letters will be considered.
- Recommendation of the program graduate coordinator for entrance to the program.
- A grade point average of at least 3.00.
- Satisfactory completion of required course work, including elective units. No courses for which a grade less than B is earned will be acceptable in meeting the 40-unit M.P.A. requirement. Students earning a B- or lower in a course will be required to repeat the course with a grade of B or better.
- Completion of a master’s thesis and oral defense, or two comprehensive written examinations.
- Recommendation of the program graduate coordinator.
- Successful completion of the WEPT (or its equivalent), or waiver by the University of this requirement. This waiver is granted by the program graduate coordinator.