APPLICATIONS AND VISITING INSTRUCTIONS
University classes, researchers, and groups interested in organizing retreats, conferences or events are all welcome at the Preserves. The Preserves are also available to high school teachers with small groups and their own curriculum.
1. Submit an Application - Please click on the appropriate link below to submit an application. Be sure to include your contact information and the purpose of your visit. Additional information is included within the application.
- University Class Application - also for use by high-school classes
- Research Application - Please use this application if you are conducting orginal investigations in the sciences or liberal arts.
- General Use Application - Please use this application for all other purposes (retreats, conferences, other events).
2. Submit a Liability Waiver and Release - Each visitor must sign and submit a waiver that releases SSU from liability. SSU Students must additionally submit an SSU student release form for each student. Please place your signed waivers (and releases) in the sign-in box near the Preserve entrances.
- Liability Waiver for Adults- spanish also available
- Liablity Waiver for Minors
- SSU Student Release - For all students enrolled in an SSU class
3. Sign In - All visitors to the Preserves must register at the sign-in box. This is in addition to signing a liability waiver.
4. Know Preserve Regulations and Safety Procedures - Access is conditional upon the visitors' ability to abide by Preserve rules and regulations. These regulations were designed to ensure protection of the land, research and educational activities, and the safety of Preserve visitors and staff. Persons applying for access are responsible for ensuring that all members of their party are aware or and abide by the regulations.
5. Pay Fees, if applicable - Use fees are charged for the following activities:
- 3rd - 5th Grade Field Trips: $3 per student participant (excluding adults).
- Saturday Public Hikes: $3 per participant.
- Use of the Marjorie Osborn Education Center by non-SSU groups : $80 for 4 hours or $150 for 8 hours.
Use fees are payable by check or cash. Checks may be made out to SSU Preserves and delivered to Preserves staff on the day of your event, or mailed to: Sonoma State University, Fairfield Osborn Preserve, 6543 Lichau Rd., Penngrove, CA, 94951. If you choose to mail your check, please include a copy of your application.
The Preserves may be closed during holidays and other administratively mandated breaks, but are usually open during summer and semester intersessions. Public educational hikes are not offered during intersessions. Please consult the events calendar for scheduled closures.