Records & Reports
Sonoma State University Police Services maintains all law enforcement records pursuant to State and Federal laws. These laws define the circumstances under which and to whom records may be released. If you are interested in obtaining a copy of a police report, please review the following information. If you believe you qualify to receive police records, please complete and submit the Application for Records/Report Release (pdf). Requests will be processed within 10 business days.
Police Services also publishes crime statistics annually pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Act. Please visit our Clery Report web page to view these annual statistics.
Note: Unlawful dissemination of police information to unauthorized persons is prohibited and punishable as a crime under state law.
Crime and Incident Reports
Crime reports and incidents may be released to the following interested parties:
- The victim
- An authorized representative of the victim
- An insurance carrier where a claim has or may be made
- Any person suffering bodily injury, property damage or loss
Under certain circumstances, reports may be released with information redacted to protect the identities of involved parties and/or victims. Report requests may be denied if release of the report would potentially endanger individuals named in the report or when the report is the product of an ongoing investigation.
Police records for crimes or incidents involving juveniles are subject to additional limitations. Requests for juvenile records may require the approval of the Juvenile Court.
Traffic Collision Reports
Traffic collision reports may also be requested using the Application for Records/Report Release (pdf). Traffic reports may be released to:
- Drivers involved in the collision
- Registered owners of involved vehicles
- Parents of minors involved in collision
- Passengers involved in the collision and listed on the report
- Insurance companies represented involved vehicles
- Those incurring property damage or civil liability from collision
- Attorneys represented the above