News, blogs, events

SSU Grad, Ian Cauble, Wins Title of Top Young Sommelier in the World

October 10, 2011 3:03 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
OCTOBER 5, 2011

ian_cauble_ssu_grad_web.jpgRelaxing on his hotel balcony in Santorini, Greece, Ian Cauble alerted his friends and relatives to the good news via Facebook, "I won the World Championship." After an intense 8 hour competition in Greece, Ian was named Top Young Sommelier of the World by the Confrérie de la Chaîne des Rôtisseurs, the world's oldest gastronomic society based in Paris, France.  "I am honored to bring the world title home to the United States," said Ian.

"Ian Cauble is an incredibly talented sommelier," said Steven Holt, Director of Public Relations for The Ritz-Carlton at HalfMoon Bay where Ian currently works as head sommelier. A review of Ian's accomplishment in only 10 years after graduating from SSU are quite astounding. In June of this year he was awarded Top Sommelier of the Western United States by the Guild of Sommeliers, and in 2008 he was voted one of the "Best New Sommeliers" in the U.S. by Wine and Spirits magazine.

"It was my wine classes at Sonoma State University that first got me interested in wine," says Ian. "I was especially hooked when I went on SSU's wine class trip to Chile." An International Business major at SSU with an emphasis in Wine Business and Spanish, upon graduation Ian took his skills to Portugal where he worked for 2 euros an hour at Royal Oporto in the Douro Valley, the country's oldest port house. Then after harvest Ian travelled for thirteen months throughout Europe, North Africa and India, exploring the wines and cuisines of these regions.

A native Californian, Ian then returned to the United States with his passion for food and wine even stronger. So he obtained a job in the restaurant industry, working at some of the top wine destinations in the U.S., including: Aubergine and Le Quai restaurants of Newport Beach; Fleur de Lys of Las Vegas; as well as the restaurants of Jardiniere and Spruce in San Francisco. For the last several years he has enjoyed being Head Sommelier at the Ritz-Carlton in Half-Moon Bay.

When asked about his future plans, Ian commented, "Right now I'm focused on passing the blind tasting portion of the Master Sommelier Exam. It is about 5 months away, so I am going to try to relax for a few months and enjoy life before gearing up for the examination. I've been training very hard for a long time. It's time to enjoy wine for a bit without studying books or analyzing it. After passing the Master Sommelier Exam I will eventually begin the Master of Wine program, but there is no rush. I love food and wine and there is still so much to learn about this ever changing subject."

ian_cauble_presented_award_web.jpg     ian_cauble_with_group_web.jpg

Download high-resolution images of the pictures in this press release: 1. Image in the upper right corner.

2. Image in the bottom left corner.

3. Image in the bottom right corner.

Contact SBE
Contact SSU
Sonoma State University School of Business and Economics. Reach.
1801 East Cotati Avenue, Rohnert Park, CA, 94928 • 707-664-2377 10045