Ross Stores Inc.: Human Relations Corporate Intern
February 25, 2013 10:04 AM
DEPARTMENT: Associate Relations
MANAGER TITLE: Lundyn LaFleur
As a Corporate Human Resources Intern at Ross you will have the opportunity to experience the world of off-price retail and be a part of a growing Fortune 500 company. This position is based in Pleasanton, California at our corporate headquarters. This internship prepares students for a potential career within Human Resources in a retail environment, allowing you a real-world perspective on a career at Ross. Interns will gain insight into the objectives of Human Resources and the daily responsibilities of an Associate at Ross, a good introduction to a potential career as an HR Generalist.
Within the corporate offices of Ross, we will host Interns in a variety of departments including Human Resources, Store Operations, Store Operations Finance, Strategy, Finance, Purchasing, Allocation and Loss Prevention.
The Human Resources intern will have an opportunity to work on key department initiatives to help drive change and maintain or improve efficiencies. The intern will receive key insight into Ross's Human Resources team and processes, particularly in the Associate Relations area. Possible projects include subjects such as:
• Benchmarking the Leave of Absence process and department structure of comparable companies
• Analyzing Alert Line data and extracting learnings in order to develop business opportunities
• Identifying and making recommendations related to perks that can be offered to Associates across the chain
These projects and experiences will give the Intern candidate exposure to multiple areas of the business, interaction with Senior Leadership, project management experience and the opportunity to learn new systems and/or applications.
INTERN PROGRAM OUTLINE:
The Ross Intern program is a 10-week full-time program (40 hours per week) for college level Juniors, starting in early June ending mid August. The Intern Program will cover training on project related responsibilities, ownership of a department related project as well as exposure to senior leadership and other departments within Ross corporate.
The main component of the Human Resources internship will be to analyze a business project within the department while participating in daily department activities primarily related to extended leaves of absence. Interns will be expected to present a final project analysis and presentation to senior management and fellow interns.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Must currently be enrolled in 4-year college degree program, Human Resources, Business or Retail Management preferred; must currently be in Junior standing with expected graduation between December 2013 and August 2014
• MS Office with strong practical application of Excel skills
• Ability to demonstrate use of PowerPoint skills
• Strong analytical skills with spreadsheet applications
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Able to work in a fast paced environment
• Organized and detail-oriented
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and sensitivity
• Strong customer service skills with excellent problem solving capabilities. Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationship with others
• Gather and organize information from a variety sources and present it in a clear and concise manner
• Ability to work, in an office environment, communicating with others primarily by phone;
• Retail experience a plus
Start Date: ASAP
How to apply: Go to www.sonoma.edu/career