Ross Stores Inc.: Purchasing Corporate Intern
February 25, 2013 10:10 AM
TITLE: Corporate Intern
DEPARTMENT: Supply Purchasing
MANAGER: Jennifer Bradley
As a Corporate Intern at Ross you will have the opportunity to experience the world of off-price retail and be a part of a growing Fortune 500 company. This position is based in Pleasanton, California at our corporate headquarters. This internship prepares students for a potential career in retail, allowing you a real-world perspective on a career at Ross. Interns will gain insight into the objectives of their department and the daily responsibilities of an analyst at Ross.
Within the corporate offices of Ross, we will host Interns in a variety of departments including Human Resources, Store Operations, Store Operations Finance, Strategy, Finance, Purchasing, Allocation and Loss Prevention.
The ideal Intern candidate for Purchasing will have experience with:
• Planning and Organizing (putting materials and presentations together)
• Communicating findings (presentation experience)
The Purchasing Intern will have an opportunity to work on projects focused within the department and Ross. They will learn how we provide indirect supply needs to stores and business partners for both Ross and dd's DISCOUNTS. This position will also expose the Intern candidate to vendor negotiation, project management and active participation in system enhancements. Possible projects include subjects such as:
• Plastic bag ban research and legislation tracking
• Single sticker - Operations project and timeline management
• New and existing store orders
• Coupa system enhancement involvement
These projects will give the Intern candidate exposure to multiple areas of the business, interaction with Senior Leadership, project management experience and the opportunity to learn new software.
INTERN PROGRAM OUTLINE:
The Ross Intern program is a 10-week full-time program (40 hours per week) for college level Juniors, starting in early June ending mid August. The Intern Program will cover training on project related responsibilities, ownership of a department related project as well as exposure to senior leadership and other departments within Ross corporate.
The main component of the internship will be to analyze a business project within your department while participating in daily department activities. Interns will be expected to present a final project analysis and presentation to senior management and fellow Interns.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Must currently be enrolled in 4-year college degree program, business or retail management preferred; must currently be in Junior standing with expected graduation between December 2013 and August 2014
• MS Office with strong practical application of Excel skills
• Ability to demonstrate use of PowerPoint skills
• Strong analytical skills with spreadsheet applications
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Able to work in a fast paced environment
• Organized and detail-oriented
• The ability to drive results
• Retail experience a plus
Start Date: ASAP
How to apply: Go to www.sonoma.edu/career