Ross Stores Inc.: Strategy Corporate Intern
February 25, 2013 10:42 AM
TITLE: Corporate Intern
DEPARTMENT: Corporate Strategy
As a Corporate Intern at Ross you will have the opportunity to experience the world of off-price retail and be a part of a growing Fortune 500 company. This position is based in Pleasanton, California at our corporate headquarters. This internship prepares students for a potential career in retail, allowing you a real-world perspective on a career at Ross. Interns will gain insight into the objectives of their department and the daily responsibilities of an analyst at Ross.
Within the corporate offices of Ross, we will host interns in a variety of departments including Human Resources, Store Operations, Store Operations Finance, Strategy, Finance, Purchasing, Allocation and Loss Prevention.
The ideal Intern candidate for the Corporate Strategy Intern will have experience with:
• Conducting analysis: including pulling data, building models and analyzing financial, operational or statistical data
• Applying (and a clear understanding of) basic business, financial, statistical, and economic concepts
• Working effectively as a member of a team
These projects will give the Intern candidate exposure to multiple areas of the business, interaction with Senior Leadership, project management experience and the opportunity to learn new software.
The Strategy intern will have an opportunity to work on projects focused within the department and Ross. Ross has a clear set of strategic priorities aimed at delivering attractive bargains to our customers. The Strategy group is responsible for analyzing business problems and developing improvement opportunities to ensure that we continue to deliver bargains to our customers. Often times, the strategy group conducts cross-functional analysis, and the Strategy intern should expect to interact frequently with other members of the strategy team and have exposure to other key operators in the organization.
Possible projects include subjects such as:
• Analysis of sales by store demographics to understand drivers of business performance
• Competitive benchmarking to identify best practices from other retailers that could be applied to Ross
• Customer research to understand customer attitudes and behavior
• Inventory management analysis
INTERN PROGRAM OUTLINE:
The Ross Intern program is a 10-week full-time program (40 hours per week) for college level Juniors, starting in early June ending mid August. The Intern Program will cover training on project related responsibilities, ownership of a department related project as well as exposure to senior leadership and other departments within Ross corporate.
The main component of the internship will be to analyze a business project within your department while participating in daily department activities. Interns will be expected to present a final project analysis and presentation to senior management and fellow interns.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Must currently be enrolled in 4-year college degree program, business or retail management preferred; must currently be in Junior standing with expected graduation between December 2013 and August 2014
• MS Office with strong practical application of Excel skills
• Ability to demonstrate use of PowerPoint skills
• Strong analytical skills with spreadsheet applications
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Able to work in a fast paced environment
• Organized and detail-oriented
• Retail experience a plus
• Strong quantitative skills and a data driven approach to solving problems
• Clear understanding of basic financial, statistical, and economic concepts
• Experience with financial or statistical modeling a plus
Start Date: ASAP
How to apply: Go to www.sonoma.edu/career