City of Santa Rosa: Accounting Assistant - Accounts Payable
September 12, 2013 12:02 PMJob Type: Full-Time
Location: City Hall, 100 Santa Rosa Ave Santa Rosa, California
The Position: Accounting Assistants perform difficult and varied financial and clerical accounting work for the Finance Department. This recruitment is being conducted to fill one current vacancy in the Accounts Payable section. The person selected will join a team composed of two Accounting Assistants and one Accounting Aide who process a high volume of information to produce the weekly Accounts Payable checks.
Ideal Candidate: The ideal candidate will have experience performing Accounts Payable record keeping and/or bookkeeping duties in a high volume, accounting environment using an electronic financial system. He or she will also have a strong team and customer service orientation, great attention to detail and accuracy, the ability to respond flexibly to changing priorities, and the ability to receive direction from a variety of people at different levels in the organization. Governmental Accounting experience is desirable.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following are examples of duties considered essential for Accounting Assistants in all section assignments:
• Participate in the processing of payroll and/or accounts payable;
• reconcile accounts against source documents;
• assist with general financial and statistical record keeping activities;
• answer questions from City employees and the public regarding City financial record keeping policies and practices, salaries and benefits, employment verifications, the status of accounts and payments, the proper coding of transactions and other matters;
• investigate and resolve discrepancies;
• operate a variety of standard office equipment;
• maintain various files, records and registers according to established account classifications;
• complete a variety of forms;
• input changes and verify accuracy by matching master file report with source documents;
• update files and reconcile to General Ledger;
• verify accuracy of input and request that checks be printed;
• instruct less experienced staff or direct others on a project basis;
• initiate accounting transfers, perform detailed payment and record keeping procedures for special accounts;
• trace missing support documents;
• post payments and expenditures to the proper account;
• receive, process and record requests for payments for services;
• verify calculations, vendor and account numbers, signature authority, codes and encumbrance status;
• contact City staff and vendors to follow up on missing documents and reconcile discrepancies;
• compose letters to vendors, retirees and employees.
In addition to the above, the following duties are also considered essential for positions in the Accounts Payable section:
• Verify accuracy of payment checks;
• audit invoices against purchase orders and other source documents against records;
• monitor independent contractors involved in providing services for the City to ensure compliance with IRS reporting requirements;
• calculate and apply applicable discounts;
• perform detailed payment and record keeping procedures for use taxes on purchases from out-of-state vendors, retention accounts for construction contracts and monthly housing assistance payments;
• establish and monitor encumbrances for contracts and purchase orders;
• review and match invoices and other authorizing claims with contracts, purchase orders and field requisitions.
Knowledge of: Modern office practices, procedures, and equipment related to the processing and recording of financial records and transactions; basic business data processing principles and practices as applied to financial record keeping; business math, including fractions, decimals, percentages and ratios; basic bookkeeping methods and practices.
Understand, interpret and apply instructions, policies and procedures related to processing and recording payment transactions; perform varied financial record keeping activities; use automated spreadsheets and other fiscal record keeping systems; set up and maintain financial records and files; perform detailed numerical work with speed and accuracy while meeting critical deadlines; organize and prioritize a high volume of work in order to meet recurring deadlines; make arithmetic calculations accurately and rapidly; work independently and make sound judgments within established guidelines; understand and apply oral and written directions; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work; operate a calculator by touch; type with sufficient speed and accuracy to enter data into a computer terminal and prepare manual checks, reports, and correspondence.
Experience and Education:
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be: Experience - Sufficient experience including bookkeeping, payroll or financial record keeping or other clerical accounting experience which demonstrates the possession of the knowledge and abilities listed above. Experience within a public sector agency is desirable; Education -Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade. One year of college level course work in accounting or financial record keeping is highly desirable.
Selection Process: The anticipated selection process will consist of an evaluation of applications and a written examination. The written examination is scheduled for October 3. This process will result in an eligible list of candidates to be sent to the Finance Department for a hiring interview.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements: Positions in this classification work indoors and sit at a workstation with the ability to move at will. Communication with other city staff involves making contact orally via the telephone and in person. The work involves entering and retrieving data into and from a computer using a keyboard. Checking time cards and account payable requests involves reviewing the work of others. Operating a computer, calculator, copier and typewriter involves repetitive arm hand movement. Entering data by touch requires the ability to hear computer alarms for errors. Time cards and various forms are color coded, requiring the ability to distinguish among colors. Retrieving files involves using the arms above shoulder level. Files and mail weighing less than 20 pounds are moved long distances. Retention boxes weighing over 50 pounds are carried short distances.
Start Date: ASAP
Salary: $21.78 - $26.43/hr
How to apply: Go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com/srcity/default.cfm?action=viewJob&jobID=703091