Fetzer: Sustainability Manager
September 26, 2013 2:39 PM
At Fetzer Vineyards, they have made a mission out of sustainability.
And that's why they are looking for a Sustainability Manager to carry forth the great work they have done over many years of greening their business and protecting natural resources. Whether it is enhancing sustainable winegrowing practices, reducing waste to landfills, realizing energy and cost savings, identifying greener packaging opportunities, or serving as environmental stewards to their consumers, business partners, and the community, they are constantly pursuing and improving sustainable business practices.
They couldn't be more excited about being a part of the Concha y Toro family. Publically traded and based in Chile with operations in Argentina, it's the world's ninth largest winery with more than 29 million cases sold annually. As their first US operations, they have been fortunate to expand their line of wines, make improvements in quality, employ innovative production techniques, and build and grow their Sales and Marketing team.
Lead the development, tracking, and reporting of progress on sustainability strategy and goals, including measurement against sustainability initiatives and the production of an annual Sustainable Development Report. Investigate and recommend initiatives and innovations to meet sustainability goals in order to position Fetzer Vineyards as a leader in the wine industry. Partner with internal and external stakeholders and suppliers/growers in the supply chain in order to continually improve Fetzer/Bonterra's social, economic, and environmental initiatives.
Sustainability, Compliance, and Continuous Improvement (80% of the time)
• Identify research, prioritize, develop, and track cutting-edge sustainability innovations, initiatives, and projects, and develop and evaluate financial viability of these projects. Evaluation and recommendation must include an ROI analysis for utility/maintenance saves, property value enhancements (if appropriate), and environmental and social impacts.
• Develop and improve existing strategic plans and supporting initiatives aligned with Fetzer sustainability goals and objectives including water reduction, green cleaning, recycling, and waste reduction, social/human resources initiatives, etc.
• Establish and analyze metrics, benchmarks, and goals to measure the success of Fetzer's overall sustainability program, including but not limited to: waste to landfill, recycling and income generated, campus and vineyard fuel (gas, diesel, biodiesel, red diesel, propane), all energy and GHG (PG&E, 3Phase solar, etc.), vineyard and natural resource practices, and social responsibility aspects.
• Write Sustainability policies, standards, and guidelines and prepare a comprehensive annual Sustainability Development Report, including key messaging, employee interviews, stakeholder commentary, data review, design, and photography.
• Maintain and update a centralized data base on Fetzer's initiatives related to sustainability accomplishments, changes, and performance indicators.
• Work closely with Leadership Team to continue to develop company-wide sustainable packaging, growing and waste reduction strategies that provide a clear view of regulatory risks, cost reductions and opportunities for growth.
• Embrace and promote sustainability and lead engagement activities through tools, education, and training of employees, distributors, growers, neighbors, consumers, and governments to increase awareness of Fetzer's sustainability initiatives.
• Explore, recommend, and maintain certifications such as ISO 14001, LEED, For Life, Demeter, Organics, etc. initiatives that support our brands, packaging and website development, and external stakeholder engagement.
• Contribute to brand strategy and marketing innovation discussions related to organic/sustainable messages.
• Track and help respond to buyers'/market demands for sustainable and organic standards and practices for our products.
• Develop presentations and speak at approved conferences and seminars on organic and sustainable
• farming techniques.
• Lead the Fetzer Vineyards e3 team, providing training and guidance to develop effective internal relationships and participation in environmental and sustainable requirements and innovations. Define the scope, duties and accountabilities for team members.
• Establish and continue developing partnerships with strategic organizations (or stakeholders) such as CA Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance (CSWA), certification organizations (e.g., CCOF), scientists, and government agencies, to support and gain information about sustainable practices and policy issues; and represent Fetzer and Bonterra in these contexts, as appropriate.
• Prepare sustainability award applications for Fetzer (from external parties)
• Develop and help implement sustainability and quality standards for Fetzer suppliers (including packaging and material inputs, as well as grapes), and for organic standards for Bonterra, to ensure supply chain engagement in sustainability expectations. (See below for link to grower relations.)
Sustainable Development - Supply Chain Engagement (20 % of the time)
• Help develop program to promote Sustainable certification practices internally and for Fetzer suppliers.
• Serve as a resource for external organic growers by preparing and updating educational/informational materials on organic and sustainable practices for contracted growers and other potential suppliers.
• Prepare educational materials for suppliers of wine packaging materials and other production inputs, focusing on sustainable impacts and life cycle activities.
• Coordinate organization of educational events on sustainable practices, such as workshop(s) and/or field meetings each year for grape suppliers (collaborating with Grower Relations), vendors, and suppliers.
• Bachelor's Degree in Sustainability Management, Environmental Science or related field, or equivalent education/experience combination.
• Minimum 5 years of related experience with emphasis in sustainable agriculture and/or environmental sciences, preferred.
• Understanding of global sustainability initiatives.
• Knowledge and experience of sustainability certification programs, protocols, and evaluation programs for the wine, agriculture, and manufacturing industry.
• Understanding and experience with relevant metrics and performance indicators and data management tools for energy, water, materials, waste, agricultural inputs, land use, and human resource issues in field.
• Knowledge of and experience with protocols & methods for Greenhouse Gas emission reporting.
• Skilled in research and exploration/feasibility analysis of new technologies and innovations to include ROI
• Strong skills in writing summaries and reports, proposals and ROI analyses.
• Leadership and facilitation skills, including communication ability with people at all levels.
• Skills in information management
• Valid California Driver's License & US Passport required.
• Travel required 20%
• Familiarity with industry organizations and trade associations, and university programs that interact with the wine industry
• Understanding of certified organic practices.
• Ability to encourage engagement among employees (e3 team and more).
• Experience in developing and giving presentations and providing outreach/communication and/or marketing to the public and buyers on sustainability issues.
• Knowledge of wine and the impact of organic farming on the characteristics of the wine.
• Proven ability to design and conduct applied research. Leadership skills to organize, motivate, supervise, plan, research, document/communicate, and evaluate.
• Advanced oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to interact effectively with all levels of internal & external contacts, employees, media, etc.
• Ability to research, design analyze and produce educational materials and informational packets for distribution. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
Fetzer Vineyards' corporate office is located at 12901 Old River Rd Hopland, CA 95449 Hopland is a small town of less than 800 people located at the start of the Redwoods of Northern California. It is about a two hour drive, along scenic U.S. Route 101, north of San Francisco.
About Fetzer Vineyards:
Our multi-site California winery operation includes 1000 acres of farmed vineyards and 3 million cases produced annually. Operations include Mendocino County winery, production and vineyard locations; Paso Robles winery and Jekel vineyard operation in Greenfield, with a combined sales of approximately $185 Million and combined employment of 315 with an additional approximately 40 seasonally.
Start Date: ASAP
How to apply: Email your resume to email@example.com with "Sustainability Manager" in the subject line. Must pass pre- employment drug screen and background check. AA/EOE/M/F/D/V
They couldn't be more excited to be part of Viña Concha y Toro which occupies an outstanding position among the world's most important wine companies. With consolidated sales in 2012 of over US$939 million and more than 29 million cases sold globally, the company shows the strength of its business model and international leadership, with a presence in over 135 countries.