Visit, Contact, Connect
A great place to visit. An even better place to study, live and work.
As students, you'll experience the best of northern California living on an intimate and innovative campus. As visitors or parents, you'll enjoy, well...visiting! As faculty and staff, we look forward to welcoming you and sharing the campus we've grown and love.
Located on 296 acres in California's premier wine country - just one hour's drive of San Francisco and less to the Pacific Coast - Sonoma State is a small campus with big ideas. With a tradition of promoting intellectual and personal growth, leadership opportunities and technological proficiency, SSU offers its students a friendly, safe and informal atmosphere on a beautiful campus setting. Currently, campus housing accommodates students in both apartment and residential suite style facilities.
- SSU is known as a model for sustainability in building, teaching, and planning. Numerous national awards have been presented to the University. In May 2010, "The Princeton Review's Guide to 286 Green Colleges" SSU was recognized as having one of the most impressive environmental and sustainability programs among colleges and universities across the country.
- Most classes are relatively small compared to many colleges, meaning more contact with faculty. Sixty-two out of the 74 classrooms on campus hold fewer than 50 students (84%).
- Sonoma's residential environment is rated high with students. Housing consists of suites and apartments--many with single rooms (with private bathroom), living rooms, and kitchens with microwaves, cook top stoves and dishwashers.
- The Jean and Charles Schulz Information Center is a collaborative, bold vision designed as a regional resource for the entire Sonoma State University community. The Information Center opened August, 2000 and houses the University Library, Information Technology, the Center for Distributed Learning, the Writing Center, the Center for Teaching & Professional Development, the Center for Community Engagement and Charlie Brown's Cafe.
- The Donald and Maureen Green Music Center is on its way to becoming one of the finest music and arts venues in the world. Featuring an acoustically-superb concert hall, it will draw both master and student musicians, as well as audiences eager to experience their performances, enhanced by the natural beauty of northern California's hills and vineyards which surround it.
- In addition to offering excellent programs to support the health and well-being of the SSU community, through the design and operation of its facility, Campus Recreation demonstrates a profound commitment to a sustainable society in hopes that we can help pioneer a vision for conservation and energy efficiency.