Summer HS Internship Program (SHIP)
The Summer High School STEM Internship Program (SHIP) is a partnership between the School of Science and Technology (SST) at Sonoma State University and the Sonoma County Office of Education (SCOE).
Since 2008, this program has matched top Sonoma County high school juniors with faculty mentors at SSU to collaborate on research projects in the areas of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. In addition to $1,000 stipends, students are given opportunities to work on challenging research projects in state-of-the-art facilities and interact with faculty and SSU students in the university environment. These students then act as ambassadors to relay the highlights of their work to their classmates, friends, counselors, teachers, and principals during their senior years.
Call for Student Interns (Flyer)
This summer, fifteen high school juniors from Sonoma County will be selected to spend 4 full-time weeks (or equivalent) this summer working with faculty at Sonoma State University. They will participate in research projects in a variety of fields and receive stipends of $1000 each, provided by the Sonoma County Office of Education.
Appropriate candidates are not only excellent students, but they have a passion for science, technology, engineering, or mathematics. Student interns will be selected based on their intellectual curiosity, initiative, depth of commitment to science and the internship experience, potential for success in the sciences, and overall academic performance.
The full project list for 2017 is posted at http://www.sonoma.edu/scitech/hs/2017/projects.html.
To be eligible for SHIP internships, students must:
- Be current high school juniors (graduating in 2018)
- Attend a high school governed by the Sonoma County Office of Education (SCOE). A list of SCOE schools is available at https://www.scoe.org/pub/htdocs/directory-overview.html.
To participate, students must submit the following application package:
- SHIP application form [pdf] [docx]
- Letter of interest (maximum 2 pages) addressing the following questions:
- What interests and excites you about science, technology, engineering or mathematics?
- What field, subject area or major do plan to study in college?
- Which two projects on the project description list most interest you? Why?
- Why are you interested in participating in the internship?
- What do you expect to gain from this internship?
- Copy of your current high school transcript
- Completed Teacher Recommendation Form ([pdf] [docx]) from a science or mathematics teacher who knows you well. The teacher should give you the recommendation form in a sealed envelope so that you can turn it in with your packet. Be sure to give your teacher plenty of time!
Completed application packets are due by Friday, April 7, 2017 at 4:00 pm and must be hand-delivered or mailed to:
School of Science and Technology, Darwin Hall Room 115
Attn: Cory Oates/SHIP Application
Sonoma State University
1801 E. Cotati Ave.
Rohnert Park, CA 94928
Applicants will be notified by the end of April.