Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP)

SSU Duck Pond

The California State University requires all employees who travel internationally on CSU business to use the Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) available through the California State University Risk Management Authority. For complete foreign travel insurance information, please refer to the California State University Risk Management's website.

For additional information, please review the following CSU memo on International Travel & Requirement to Purchase Insurance dated 3/25/2013.

Foreign Travel Insurance is required for traveling faculty, staff, and students participating in university sponsored trips abroad. FTIP is intended for short-term use. For benefits to be covered, the employee must enroll himself/herself (or the group if employee is leading a class experience abroad) in the program before departure. The enrollment process is initiated by completing and submitting to the Seawolf Service Center the Foreign Travel Insurance Request Form (pdf). Requests should be submitted at least 10 to 15 business days in advance of departure from the United States. Upon notification by the insurance program’s underwriter that the Foreign Travel Insurance has been bound, the Seawolf Service Center will send the employee or group leader a “Foreign Travel Assist” card to carry while traveling outside of the United States. In case of emergency, the card provides the employee with contact information for getting assistance in obtaining coverage afforded under the FTIP program. This coverage includes, but is not limited to, the following:

  • General Liability
  • Medical Expense (covered medical expenses resulting from a covered accident or sickness)
  • Emergency Medical Benefits
  • Emergency Medical Evacuation
  • Repatriation of Remains Benefit
  • Excess Hired and non-owned Auto Liability
  • Foreign Workers’ Compensation
  • Travel Assistance Services (lost luggage, legal assistance, lost or stolen passport, consular assistance)

Coverage territory is anywhere in the world excluding the United States, its territories or possessions; the territorial waters of the United States, or those countries, jurisdictions and/or territories against which the government of the United States of America (including any department or subdivision thereof) administers and/or enforces economic and/or trade sanctions.

To request Foreign Travel Insurance, please complete the following form and submit it to the Seawolf Service Center Attn: Elizabeth O'Brien:

In most instances, a request will be completed within 10 working days. Once the underwriter has confirmed that the insurance has been bound, the Seawolf Service Center will send the employee or group leader the “Travel Assist” card that provides instructions on how to access the insurance benefits and includes necessary telephone numbers.

Other Resources: