Patient Rights & Responsibilities
An SSU student eligible to use the Student Health Center has the right to:
- Access to care within the published hours and service scope of the Student Health Center.
- Privacy and confidentiality of medical and personal information including the right to request or refuse release of individual medical records & to access information in these records in accordance with SSU policy and applicable state and federal laws.
- Be treated with respect, courtesy, and dignity.
- Know the name, qualifications and credentials of his/her health care provider(s) and request a different provider or a second medical opinion if other qualified providers are available.
- Receive information about his/her medical condition including diagnosis, prognosis, purpose, benefits, risks, possible side effects & treatment alternatives.
- Participate in individual health care decisions except when medically contraindicated.
- Make an informed decision to decline diagnostic evaluations or treatments (including Advance Directives, see http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/adv_hc_dir) and accept responsibility for the outcome of such decisions.
- Express suggestions and/or grievances to the Health Center Director or other staff.
- Receive timely information about Student Health Center operations including but not limited to fees, payment policies, liability coverage, after-hours options, and emergency care.
- Use a medical, pharmacy, lab, or x-ray facility other than the SHC at his/her own expense.
A Student Health Center patient has the responsibility to:
- Keep appointments or notify the Health Center in advance to cancel or reschedule.
- Provide complete, accurate personal health history including past and present medical conditions; current symptoms and concerns; allergies; sensitivities; health-related behaviors; and the medications, nutritional supplements and other substances you use.
- Communicate actively with the medical provider to better understand his/her medical condition.
- Follow the treatment plan prescribed by his/her medical provider and seek necessary, timely medical treatment, including utilizing off-campus sources, if medical needs fall outside the scope or hours of operation of the Student Health Center.
- Understand and accept the consequences of refusing or not complying with treatment.
- Accept financial responsibility for any charges, promptly pay fees, and return borrowed equipment.
- Be considerate of Health Center patients and Health Center personnel.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Inform the SHC of any living will, advance directive, medical power of attorney or other information that could influence his or her care.